Thread: What is a physical exam?

Default What is a physical exam?

I had my antenatal appt today and was told i have to see a doctor before my midwife appt in 6 weeks time for a 'physical exam'. Does anyone know what is involved in this? I have no idea. I never had to have one with Lily..

Maybe they mean the blood workup etc that they do. Maybe they mean an internal (EEK!). Maybe just a general health check. I dunno my midwife was actually glad I hadn't been to a GP prior my midwife visit as she said they always stuff things up & the midwife needs to do it again anyway.

When we have general physical exams usually they mean checking everything, heart rate, BP, all the normal stuff to make sure everything is working, like fiona said maybe more blood tests? I think it depends on who you see. At our 16 week appt at the hospital they do a doctors appointment where you meet an OB they do everything, including pap smear if needed. Just checking your overall health. HTH!

At my booking-in visit at the hospital recently, the Dr did a complete physical (as mentioned BP, height, weight, complete family background etc) but also did a Pap Smear and an internal where he checked my cervix and also used the fingers inside/hand outside method to check size and shape of uterus, location of ovaries etc. Very old-fashioned really and quite unexpected as I'd not had a "complete physical" since my last child and he is 7 in May.

Lisa

I actually refuse to have an internal until I am in labour. I don't see the need if there is not a problem.
    Its funny, DH would volenteer me at every visit with my first pg " Does she need an internal?". He started doing it with my 2nd as well but I just snapped at him and asked, "would you like to bend over so we can stick our finger up your arse?" The midwife just laughed. I was lucky because she also said that unless I feel there is a problem they are not necessary until labour. So thats what I stick with now!

I do think that in my case, the internal was probably more hand-in-hand with the Pap Smear moreso than the pregnancy as I hadn't had either for some time (naughty naughty). But he also said now that unless there is a problem, ie unexplained bleeding or whatever, where they may need to see if the cervix is dilating or if bleeding is coming from the cervix (I have a couple of erosions) or the uterus, that I won't need an internal until I AM in labour.

Thank goodness, they're not the most comfortable exam around, and especially not when you're pregnant when everything is uncomfortable in that neck of the woods anyway.

Lisa

Ok, i just found out it is because i'm having bub in the birthing centre at the hospital so they need to do a check up just to make sure i'm low risk. ie, heart, lungs, BP etc. So no internals, thank god, as i agree, no need for them until labor.

Yeah the only reason I'm having a pap smear too is because I'm 3 years overdue

My OB, same one for both girls... Has never done an internal & infact has never made it to either births so has never actually seen my private bits! Isnt that quite funny, he's my OB, but never seen my bits!!!

Even at 6wk check he asks how I feel, how I am going etc, asks if I am Ok with the feeding, healing etc, etc & that's it!!!

LOL Lucky you Tracey. With the number of internal scans etc I had to have for Kynan's conception and PG I think my OB had more to do with my bits that my DH PMSL!! 8-[