Thread: When are 1st bloods usually done?

Default When are 1st bloods usually done?

Needless to say, third time around, I should know better .

So when should the first round of blood tests be done....and what are they actually testing for?

I know I'm RH- already, and both DD and DS are. What else are they looking for?

Hi Leesa,

I had my first bloods done at 6 weeks. Refering to my health card they checked
    iron,
    haemoglobin,
    blood group
    agglutinins - think this is to do with RH-
    rubella
    VDRL/RPR - believe this is syphallis testing
    Hep B
    Last edited by nellnell; August 26th, 2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding more

Nellnell has summed most of them up.
    Antibodies are usually done with your blood group as if you test positive to certain antibodies it can put your bub at risk of certain things like jaundice, been anemic etc.
    Bloodgroup mainly to see if your negative and you need anti-D.
    They do your STDS so VDRL, HepB,C, HIV sometimes clymidia as if you have something it again can put bub at risk (Clymidia can cause problems with eye sign, VDRL infection of the brain, then Hep you want to know as bub usually has a bath soon after birth to reduce the risk it might be transmitted afterbirth although I believe this is very very low)
    There the main ones.

You can also request other tests if you think you are at increased risk. I had an indoor cat last pregnancy and wanted to know my toxoplasmosis status and because of where I worked I also wanted to know if I was immune to cmv as well.

is your DH RH- too?? if he is you wont need the anti d

but everything else has been covered... if you think nothing has changed since your DS and you dont want to have the bloods you dont have too

I usually just got mine done when i confirmed my pregnancies with my doctor. I think with DS it was 6 weeks but with DD and this pregnancy was at 4-5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oorki Galoorki View Post
    is your DH RH- too?? if he is you wont need the anti d

but everything else has been covered... if you think nothing has changed since your DS and you dont want to have the bloods you dont have too
    Nup, he's positive. And both DD and DS have taken on my 'negativity' lol!

I went to the Dr thinking this is what I had to have (blood tests). GP tells me as I'm not a 'shared care' patient they don't have to have anything to do with me anymore and she sent me on my way. Geez, I wasn't really feeling the love.

So far I keep banging my head against walls. Added on top of the phone call where they re-scheduled my first midwife appt without even consulting me - the new time doesn't work for me. I just want some clarification and to know where I stand with my 'care' this pregnancy. And no health professional seems to give a toss! Sorry, rant over!

That's wierd cause with my first I had my bloods done with my GP with no intention to share care and just took a copy of the results to my irst antenatal appointment.

i have sent a message to the SM/w to get her but in to contacting you
    that way you will have some one to chat about it with
    xoxox

Quote Originally Posted by Oorki Galoorki View Post
    i have sent a message to the SM/w to get her but in to contacting you
    that way you will have some one to chat about it with
    xoxox
    Thanks hun! Much appreciated.

I just really need to work this out so I have some kind of action plan. Do I sound like a control freak much?? Refer to the VBAC / EVAC discussion thread .

Mummaalice - nothing surprises me with the Dr's I come across. I so wish I could return to my fave Dr, and dare I say the best in Adelaide. Grrrr family spats!

They do platelets as well

I would also ask that they include Vitamin D in your tests - a Vitamin D deficiency is fairly common these days and should definitely be addressed earlier rather than later.