Thread: When can I dye m hair???

Question When can I dye m hair???

Nearing the end of the first trimester with a head full of grey hair. When is it safe to dye my hair. I normally just use those Napro wash out in 8 washes types. Planning on going to the hair dressers in May and probably get some foils done then. But is there anything I can do in between???

TIA

I dyed my hair I just made sure it was in a well ventilated area my mum dyed her hair the whole way through without a prob. I plan to redye my hair in about 3 weeks time before the inlaws come in form overseas

i died my hair quite a few times during my pregnancy... i had no problems... can it be harmful do dye your hair during pregnancy??

Ok so going to the shops to buy the dye. I had been told or read it somewhere (who knows) that dye is absorbed through the scalp and into your blood stream and can pass the chemicals to the baby. Maybe I misunderstood it.

I chose not to dye my hair during pregnancy People do claim that it's harmless, but I never saw any real proof of it, so I chose to put up with the regrowth hehe.

I think you'd need to be careful of your scalp - when you're pregnant your skin can be more sensitive to things, so perhaps ask the hairdresser not to paint the colour onto the scalp. Foils don't reach the scalp I don't think.

I have had my regrowth done and a tint was used, but my hairdresser told me it was ok as long as I didn't use bleach

It is recommended you dont use it in the first trimester i think, but ive asked two drs and two chemists and they all said it was fine it is just preferred u wait till second trimester. I didnt leave the dye in for as long and didnt rub it into my scalp as much and had all the windows open (the guy next door copped an eyefull he was happy). I think just be sensible, dont over do it and read the instructions if u do want to use them and perhaps check with ur own dr if you are worried

Had the same drama. This is what i read in "what to expect when your expecting"

"though some extra-prudent practitioners still advise their patients to stay away from hair dyes when they are expecting, studies have not linked these products to birth defects. Apparently, so little chemicals in the dyes is absorbed through the skin, its not likely that it would have any adverse effect"
    I asked my Obs, he said it was fine. I waited till i was just on 6 months to colour thou, and wont do it again till after bubs arrives. Just be aware thou, if you do do it, your hormones may cause the colour to turn out not as you have expected, mine was heaps darker.

I had my hair professionally coloured all the way through my pregnancy which not only involved foils including blonde but also a semi over all of head. My hairdresser just tried to get as little as possible on my scalp. My daugter is 3 weeks old tomorrow and does not appear to have any problems.