Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you leave?

In early pregnancy, I found I was looking forward to going back. Then at about 16w pg I found I was going to be made redundant, and be interviewed, and if I stayed I'd be doing twice as much work for less pay... can't wait to go now. Go and never go back! I'm really hoping for redundancy. If they don't do it now they'll only do it in a year or so's time so if I go back, I'll go back to this [email protected] again. I'm going at Christmas, when I'll be 35w, and I can't wait!

I am planning to begin my leave about 5 or so weeks before baby's due date. I might change my mind though, depending on how I am feeling at the time.
    I dont get paid maternity leave so I dont really want to leave too early.

With my first I left when I was 7 months pg. I was going to go through to 8 months but we were going away for 2 weeks to a friends wedding in Townsville, so figured that I may as well just leave then. It was GREAT!! I nested pretty bad for a couple of weeks...lol.

This time, I found out I was pg about a week after I'd finished working on a contract job and figured there was no point in getting a new job as I couldn't take something knowing I was pg. I have a couple of temp agencies who know I'm willing to do some short term p/t hours temp work, but nothing yet and I don't mind anyway. I don't usually get bored and I get to have nanna naps if I'm tired

It's a personal thing, however if you're not happy and you don't have to be there then personally I would consider leaving if it's causing you stress. I know people who leave at the last minute and then can't wait to go back, but I'm not CAREER minded like that and love not working...lol.

I know exactly what you mean!!! I couldnt wait to leave work when preggas with DS....I left at 7 Months, and really enjoyed my time off!
    Now that I am only working 2 nights a week, I thought i would be thinking differently this time round.... But no.....I still want to leave now LOL! I think mainly because I am just sooooo tired, and when the MS kicks in, Yuk! I think its hard to go to work when your mind is just not on the job IYKWIM....

For the entire first trimester i completely lost interest in work as i was so excited about baby and didn't want to focus on anything but! Now i don't mind if i go to work or not. Because of my job which is very physical i'm only performing my full duties for another 4 weeks then i'm going onto light duties which will be basically office work - very different to what i currently do - i'm partly scared about not working my normal job because that is where i'm comfortable and know what i'm doing but i'm also worried about working the next 4 weeks due to risk of injury - i just have to be very careful. I plan to work until 35-36 weeks on the light duties, then take annual leave for 4 weeks and start maternity leave 1 week before i'm due so i can stretch the income out. It's very personal - if we could afford for me not to work i would probably stop earlier but financially this is not possible. I hope you work out what you want to do.

Hey Naomi. I took 6 weeks leave I had owing and 'tacked' on maternity leave. I was only about 30 weeks along and I had had enough! I'd been working for the same company for nearly 10 years though!!

Naomi - firstly congrats on your pg!!! I worked up until 36wks with DS and wasn't until about 34wks I just didn't want to go anymore. Having said that I only got 3 days off as ds was induced at 36wks so that was a bit of a bummer.

With this one I felt like crap, really bad m/s and fatigue and didn't want to come to work from day dot. But I loved my job. Once I got thru the first tri it was much better however due to some complications and family stuff I had to take leave at 16wks and I am loving it! It is really n ice to slow down and enjoy this pg esp as it will be our last and spend time with ds. I am ready now to take up some casual work just to keep in the loop.

See how you feel in a couple of weeks. Maybe you need to have a little break, like have a sickie and give yourself a long weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12