Thread: Why can't I swallow my vitamins anymore?

Default Why can't I swallow my vitamins anymore?

Used to have no problems taking the pregnancy vitamins but now since being pregnant they are REALLY hard to swallow, I gag every time and it takes me about 10 tries!!! It's horrendous and I dread having to take them. It even happens with some food, it's hard to swallow sometimes. What is the deal?? Do other people have this problem, is it a pregnancy thing or am I just a weirdo?

It's a pregnancy thing for sure. I struggled a lot with this, moreso with my first pregnancy but also with my second. I used to be able to swallow Elevit which is quite large on it's own with no water, but I had to have ahuuuge drink with it when pregnant & even sometimes with that I'd struggle.

Oh phew, it's so annoying!!
    My poor back teeth too, they haven't got much attention, they'll probably fall out by the end, everytime I try to brush back there I gag, not good!!

i struggle too with the tablets, i find the first one ok its the second!!

Me three!

I have to make sure my mouth and throat are relaxed and not take too much or too little water with the tablet. The more I think about it though the worse it is and I especially hate when it gets stuck half way down but you have to keep drinking to clear it. uugghh! it's evil.

I had trouble swallowing vitamins in the first tri. Gagged all the time, almost vomited once. It went away in the second tri but came back for a few days in the third.

I also had trouble swallowing tea or coffee in the last few weeks of pregnancy. I would be in the middle of a cup then suddenly it would start coming back up, and all over my desk or floor at work. Not nice.

kirsty_lee Guest

LOL yeah my gag reflex was off the radar when i was pregnant, everytime i swallowed a vitamin it came back up and boy do those things burn when you puke them up!!!! and what is more amusing is the fact that the elevit tablets are HUGE they're like made for horses or something.. wtf is up with that

I have found that water is really bad to take the tablets with and I gag too. I need something more viscous that drags the tablet down smoothly with it. Juice or milk make it so much easier!

Oh hun... I hear ya. I take a whole handful of vitamins every day, and I found it really really difficult during my first tri. if you need to space them out during the day so they're not all at the same time, that sometimes helps. Or maybe try taking them in the middle of or just after a meal (assuming you're eating regularly - I'll admit I struggled a bit!) Just relax and don't get too overwhelmed by it all. if you miss a day here and there it's not the end of the world!

Yup me too! I take one tab in the morning after breakie with lemon cordial and it always gets stuck half way. And they kind of repeat on you and I can taste the fish oil when I burp which makes me want to chuck. Once I did chuck it up and it does burn and taste bad, so best to try and think of something else while you do it. Cause if you think about gaging on it when you try to swallow it you most likely will. I am not saying its in our heads, I just think we panic and things just get tighter again.

Why dont they make them smaller?

I know!! Why are they all like horse tablets for god sake!!!! lol.
    I've started taking mine at night now and it's a bit easier than in the morning.