Thread: Why don't the doctors ask you?

Smile Why don't the doctors ask you?

Hi Everyone

Why do the doctors ask you when you visit them about your last period to ascertain the due date?

Why don't they ask you - do you know the date this baby was conceived?

I reckon I know the date but felt too dumb to tell the doctor because I'd probably sound like a right nong.

Afterwards my husband and I both said, "That one's a baby!!"

I guess they figure that's the most accurate starting point to work out the EDD. And I think alot of people wouldn't have a clue when they conceived LOL!

My OB asked me the date of my last period, I told him, but then also told him I was 100%sure of when we conceived! I O late in my cycle, so he didn't really believe me, but I assured him I was right! (I have known him for seven years, and feel quite comfy joking with him.) He said that we'd see at the u/s...........and we did! All three scans have proved I was right. And don't I like to remind him of that LOL!

I agree with Sezjm... the LMP is also used by more Dr's, obs, midwives etc to determine how far you are.
    Every appointment I go to, they take out their little wheel thing and tell me how far I am exactly, going by my LMP... even if I know how far I am anyway they still like to confirm it.

I KNOW the exact day I conceived too! (Because it was the only day my husband and I didn't take precautions) My doctor didn't really care when the calculations I gave him were different to the ones from the ultrasound.

The thing that really bothers me, is that the hospital will try to induce you based on the ULTRASOUND - they don't really care what I tell them. I have had this same problem with 4 of my children. They all go technically 'overdue' and I have to fight the doctors off with when they try to induce me. It will probably be the same with baby number 5.

Luckily, because I have had 4 uncomplicated (yet 'overdue') births - the doctors have decide to give me the benefit of the doubt. (with the last baby anyway).

Both my pregnancies the dr and midwives have got that little wheely calendar thing out and gone by my LMP - even though i am not a 28 day cycle (more 30-31), they still prefer to jot down the 28 day cycle EDD, rather than what i know it should be !!!!!

It'll be interesting if I get a BFP *LMAO* My LMP was 07/11/2006 *LMAO* I only just O'd 13 days ago tho so they'd be WAAAAAAY out *LOL*

I know the exact date i conceived as well - we where temp charting, so i have little smily faces in the app. boxs Also, am was working on about 31 - 33day cycle, but, spotted for a few days before each AF. According to the drs, my due date was the 23rd, but, i always had thought it would be the 28th. My obs now says the 30th. But, i still reckon the 28th. The 12week scan said the 28th as well

Geez seventh_heaven. You'd think they'd give you the benefit of the doubt!! I reckon you'd know what you were talking about.

I like how they don't believe you, that's funny. RFLMAO!!! After all of these technical dr terms and other stuff I never understand it still comes down to one thing - babies are all made the same way.

I couldn't really give the dr an accurate LMP because I was simply all over the show since coming of the pill 6 months earlier (I was on it for 7 years and could set my watch by it). I'm pretty sure I know when we cooked up junior, though!!

I personally question the date I have been given, but I don't know enough about this.

PMSL Kerrie! Good luck with getting your !

My dr asked when LMP was and i told him, and he kept asking if i was 100% certain. Back then my body was like clockwork... 28 days spot on without fail.

We know when DD was concieved for sure....i used to have a program that worked on your cycle and said DTD on this day for a boy/girl, low/medium/high chance of PG, and when id O. The night we DTD my program said 'High chance of conceiving'. One day out from O.....and here is my lil girl today!

I was only asked when my LMP was, nothing about when I O'd or anything.
    I suppose they just assume most people woldnt know when they O.

Hi, and Congratulations.

My GP was really blaze and asked when my LMP was so I told him and then proceeded to continue with the conception date and told him that I had been charting my cycle was regular and had to stop myself short of the ner ner ne ner ners, I still don't think he believed me, but I think I'm lucky because when i use edd calculators if i put my LMP in or if I use the conception date they are only one day apart.

Although I know that they arn't going to believe me when i have my next check up because I'm not really gaining much weight, or showing much. But untill all my symptoms go away I'm Pg and I'm past the first hurdle now

Even with 6-week cycles, the doctors insist on going with my LMP to calculate my EDD, even though the scan showed the baby was way too small for that EDD (well, OK, I was having a short cycle, but they're still a few days out by the scan). I think it's really stupid!

And conception can happen in a supermarket, it doesn't happen during sex (well it can, but not from that round of bding), so no-one knows the exact date of conception, but knowing the date of ovulation would be a lot more of a help because that narrows it down to a 24-hour gap for conception, far more reliable than the LMP!

I printed out my FF chart, and my OB went by the O date.

~Jane~ Guest

this annoys me too, we did IVF and that's far from a normal cycle. My obs didn't ask LMP but the midwives at the hospital have a few times, we are going by my transfer date and the ultrasounds.

Debbie Lee Guest

I was asked.... and he took my word for it.
    I didn't get a BT done (tho I did have to POAS again... thought that was a bit rude).
    My EDD has always been based on my dates and not by the scan dates (although I haven't had a proper ultrasound yet). I even had my FF chart printed out but I didn't need to produce it.
    I have a short scan each time I see my doctor and, so far, he's been happy that the growth of the baby is consistent with my dates.
    I guess each doctor/midwife differs?
    Considering they're all 'estimates' anyway, I don't see why they can't just take your word for it.

We conceived via IUI, so my OB has always ignored my ultrasound EDD's. We know for sure when we conceived, within a 24hr period of so, so my OB said there was no need to alter the EDD based on the ultrasound which can be inaccurate anyway.