Thread: Work Conference

Default Work Conference

My boss is talking about sending me on a week long training course / conference in July. I will be 31 weeks then. Just wondering from those that have already been through a pregnancy what I will be feeling like then? I understand I'll probably be a bit tired, and I'm not looking forward to the plane trip. Am I going to be exhausted at that stage?

I don't want to say anything yet to the boss because it is still early days and we can't tell our parents for another 5-6 weeks so don't want him to know before the new grandparents do!

Thanks

I went away for 4 days when I was 30 weeks pregnant, in a plane for 3 hours, then car trip for an hour to get to our destination. I had m/s throughout my whole pregnancy and at the time of going away was still working. I was tired, but I wasn't too big not to be able to get around and enjoy myself.
    How long is the plane trip? I wouldn't have been able to handle more than 3 hours.

HTH

I wouldn't mention it to the boss until closer to the time, ie. wait until things start to get cemented into place, especially if your boss is just "talking" about it at the moment. It IS possible - but there could be unforeseen circumstances (like for anyone) so I say if your pg has been good so far, go along with it until closer to the dates, see if it can't be brought forward (a few weeks makes all the differences) and check with your doctor/midwife/obst. before you go.
    All this is especially neccessary if you want to return to work and keep good relationships with the boss - you shouldn't have to, but it can be a fact of life.

The plane trip would be about 2 hours I think. Possibly split up into 2 trips.

Definitely can't be brought forward. The dates are already set, it's just a matter of whether I get the approval from higher up to go.

Thanks Jodi - It's good to know you could still get around and weren't too big.

There's nothing to stop you from sneaking out for an afternoon nap during the after lunch sessions. They're all boring at that time of day, anyway! LOL

I'd go - it shows you're still interested in your professional development "despite" being imminently about to go on mat leave!

You should be fine!! Probably feeling a bit heavy and tired but you should manage ok as long as everythings going well with your p/g!!

I reckon I felt at my best at that time of pg - the first 3 months are by ar the worst for tiredness, generally, and I think most women get tired again after about week 35....

Thanks everyone!

Cally, i was fine at 31 weeks. I only really had discomfort when I was trying to sleep (couldnt get a nice comfy position) and had to use pillows under my belly and between my knees etc to get more comfy. Apart from that, I wasnt very big or exhausted at 31 weeks. We've driven on a couple on 2 hour trips around that time (seeing rellies for Xmas - i think I was 30 weeks or something) and it was no big deal - just had to stretch a bit because I was feeling restless.
    If you plan on going back to that job after maternity leave, i think its a good idea to go to the conference.. if you feel confident and up to going at that time. Would your boss still let you go?

I'm 31 weeks now and I think I could do it. I find that I get tired early at night, but as long as I go to bed reasonably early (8:30-9pm) I'm fine I'm not too big, not too uncomfortable and not sick - except for the odd bit of indigestion.

I am 34 weeks and have only just started feeling uncomfortable - but I would still be able to go away on a conference and on a plane If you get tired - go for a walk.... it really re-energises you!!! I have been on a conference for the past two days and whenever I felt uncomfortable or tired I would go for a bit of a walk