Thread: Working outdoors in the heat

Default Working outdoors in the heat

I am supposed to be working this Thursday at the races in the country. The weather forecast is in the 40's. My job is outside and I will be standing for about 6 hours with very little sit down time. I am so scared to be working in the heat, I could almost cry. I can't back out as there is no one else to do the job.

Is it dangerous for the baby if I work in the heat? I am a fainty person, so I can just picture me collapsing during the day. My main priority is the baby...would I be posing any sort of risk to the baby if I work in 40+ degrees????

Thanks

Hi Alison

40 degree heat and working outside - you're definately game. If you can't get out of it make sure you keep lots of cold water around you and maybe even get one of those battery operated little fans for yourself. I'm sure Alan or someone can reassure you most, but I'm pretty sure that it will be you that suffer before the baby does. But I could be wrong - I'm no expert. Is there lots of shade there. If you're in the shade with water and you're taking breaks you may be alright. Good luck!

Sounds awful :shock: Even if you weren't pregnant.

I am over cautious about overheating because I heard it's not very good for the baby, so I would not be doing this in your situation. Last weekend was only about 30 degrees and I was doing some painting outside on the full sun. I only lasted 30 minutes before I felt awful and just way too hot. 6 hours would be pure torture As for the fainting, I have almost fainted twice already in this pregnancy just due to being too hot :shock: so it's a possibility.

Maybe if you have shade and make sure you have lots of drinks it won't be too bad. Is there no way you could do it sitting down? I am sure people would understand as you're pregnant...

I will definitely be under shade. I might try and find a stool from a bar or something so I can sit, and I will make sure I have plenty of cold water to drink throughout the day.

I am just keeping fingers crossed that they call the races off, can't be good for the horses running in that sort of heat, poor things. I know they have been called off before for the same thing.

As long as my baby is fine, I am happy.

Hi delta_blue

Providing that you are in the shade and are able to sit down at times there should be no problem.
    Just remember to drink plenty of water. Dehydration can be very dangerous for you and your baby. I would suggest at least 2 litres and perhaps even 3. If you start to feel thirsty then you are already starting to dehydrate.

Thank you Alan. I will take plenty of water with me. You have reassured me a lot, much appreciated.

I just spoke to my boss at the races, and he was concerned about the heat and me being pregnant, so he offered to find someone else to work...yay. Now I can stay at home, watching the tennis in the air-conditioned room. I feel so relieved.
    Thanks for your replies.

That sounds much more pleasant Alison!

Oh thats great Alison!! I hope you have a lovely, restful and 'cool' day!

Pietta Guest

Thats very good to hear- i started reading this thread and i was thinking- oh no i hope she will be alright but seems you are!! so all is good

That`s great news Delta, I was concerned about you being out there in the heat. Have a nice relaxing day today.