Thread: you decide: should I move house?

Default you decide: should I move house?

Hiya,
    Do you recommend moving house when one is 30 weeks pregnant? I'm pretty chilled so it wouldn't stress me out (much anyway). We have 6 more months in Adelaide before our move back to Melbourne...

Disadvantages:
    -rent goes up $60 per week (a big jump but we've never paid high rent anyway...)
    -the moving itself
    -no separate dining area in new house (or current though...)

Advantages:
    -an extra bedroom (and bigger ones than current)
    -living in friend's suburbs (instead of 20 minute drive minimum)
    -lots of nice areas to walk (none at current) with trees and ducks
    -new renovated house! We've never lived in new stuff before!

So what do you think? We need to decide really soon (like, by tomorrow I guess).
    DH has verbally accepted the new house (freind of a freind from church), but has just rung me up saying 'do you think we really should move?!!', hence this post. ARGH!

Yep, I'm with Fletch. Who can resist new stuff?

I say go for it, you can't beat a new place with nice areas to walk around that has ducks!!

Woohoo! I never could resist the lure of the duck anyway.
    I reserve the right to totally blame you ladies should things turn sour!

Now why would you want to move away from lovely Adelaide that has so much going for it, and having so much to do here! LOL!!!!!
    Good luck with your move, sounds like a very nice place (room for 3 more?)

I'd do it now! Last move I did was me helping to lift stuff, no-one will expect you to help at 30w pg. (PS I would love to move in my last trimester too, keeping fingers crossed!)

Go for it!!!!!

I agree, especially since you'll have to move in 6 months anyway, it would be nice to spend your last half a year in such nice surroundings. I'm a veteran mover (just have never done it pregnant!). Just take your time, start early, label all your boxes and call in all your favours from friends to make sure you have to do as little actual physical work as possible. Good luck!

Jodie259 Guest

I'm with the others - go for it!!!
    I'm in Melbourne - and I love it here! There are lots of things to do.
    What suburb will you be moving to?
    How could you resist a renovated house AND and extra bedroom!!

I was at least 30 weeks pregnant when we decided to polish our floorboards. That meant we had to remove every piece of furniture (including curtains) from our house and into our bungalow out the back - and sleep out there in the 40 degree summer heat!
    Now, it's hard work to pack up a house... but it can be done! But try to ring in as many people as possible to pack your house up... and don't lift anything heavy!

We moved a few weeks ago when i was 35 weeks.. just let the men do all the lifting! But if you wanna go for it! If its going to make things easier for you in the long run then id be all for it.

We moved when I was 30 weeks pg and with a 10.5 month old - it was tough but we managed - just hire removalists. We usually do it all ourselves but found a mob that did all the moving and for about 4 hours work it cost us less than $400, not too bad I don't think! And being able to walk heaps with a newborn is great too.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, we moved from Sydney to Townsville when i was 30 weeks for hubbys job. We had removalists but i found it really hard to bend and get up off the floor once I sat down, lol. It was really humid and hot when we moved though and i had severe m/s all the way through so i wouldn't do it again, lol. If your feeling well enough and your going to benefit from the move then i'd definately think about it, but for me it was too stressful. Our car got damaged in the move and half our stuff went missing in brissy (don't even ask me how it ended up there, lol) It took 3 attempts to finally book into the new hospital. Our move was a complete disaster from start to finish, lol. Good Luck with your decision.

julesr Guest

I personally could not be bothered moving if I knew that I would be moving again in 6 months. I hate the packing and unpacking. And it always costs money to move. But if you hate where you live now and your new surroundings would be lovelier for you and Bub then go ahead and do it. The pleasure you get from enjoying a nice home and environment would make it worthwhile. You'll just have to make sure you get an equal standard of living for when you move to Melbourne!

Jodie259 Guest

aaahhh.... I just re-read the original post again! I was sleep deprived the first time I read it!

I thought you were moving to Melbourne NOW... (at 30 weeks). I didn't realise you were considering a move within... (adelaide) - then another move (to melb) in 6 months time.

Well... that makes it a bit different. I couldn't be bothered moving twice in 6 months! I think it takes that long to unpack the boxes!!! The extra bedroom would be handy when the baby comes along... but you would only get 20 weeks use out of it before you move to Melb anyway.

If you had to make a decision within 24 hours - then I guess you've decided.... so what's it to be... are you moving???

Decided we're moving. I didn't mention our current rental is up for sale so the prospective new owners are able to give us three months notice (hypothetically) if they want us out (which I doubt they'd do anyway)...another good reason to move.
    Just realised the new place doesn't have any storage places.....how silly is that?!! Not even a linen closet! Oh well, Ikea, here I come!

Good luck with your move i'm only 22 weeks pregnant and moving next weekend i will you know how it goes still got heaps of packing to go but its hard when you have a 3 year old unpacking all the boxs as you pack them lol