Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Opinion on maternity clothes?

ive had ALOT of trouble finding bottoms to fit, i already had probs pre pg because i have size 12 hips but skinny size 8 legs (e.g. buying jeans that fit me on the hips were baggy on legs when they were supposed to be tight, if they fit my legs i couldnt get them done up, which became worse since i got pg and had to give up wearing leans/pants altogether after about 20 weeks.
    tops have been fine cause i wear long tops or normal tops with those belly bands to cover up any gap between the top and bottoms...
    since about 20ish weeks ive lived in 3/4 black leggings, but still same prob, ive had to buy size 14 so the elastic doesnt cut into my bump, but then are baggy on legs...would be great if you could get 3/4 leggings that have adjustable waistbands (somehow)...
    i bought a few maternity things but they are so daggy (for my style anyway) the only piece i love is a kmart bub2b black 7/8 flowy skirt, its really soft and has a foldable waistband so you can wear it over or under your bump, sortof like yoga pant waistband....it doesnt look maternity and it goes with most of my normal tops....theres a pic of me in it in my gallery if u wanna c it. (26w4d photo)

not sure if thered be much market for it but being into goth/alt style clothes, all ive pretty much been able to wear is black thru my whole pg, would love more animal prints, skull designs etc in maternity stuff!! they make baby stuff like that so why not mat stuff?
    HTH

Last edited by tattoo_mama; March 14th, 2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: forgot some stuffs

I hate over the bump stuff too- much prefer under. Another thing with mat clothes is that I detest them (all clothing actually) in non-natural fibres. A bit of elastane mixed in is okay but I just don't buy acrylic/polyester stuff as it feels yuk on the skin and is unhealthy. So I love cotton, linen, wool, hemp etc
    Also, I don't expect to be wearing mat clothes long after baby is born- just until Ifit into my regular clothes.

i'm a size 8-10 normally and during this pregnancy i've only gained a belly, and slightly more around my thighs. i have found it extremely difficult to find some bottoms that fit, all the size 10 at target/kmart are huge, and the only place i could find sizes to fit me was online but we're way too expensive.
    i bought a beautiful pair of 3, 1/4 white cotton stretch pants that i've lived in the whole pregnancy. they are size xs from pumpkin patch, with a midrife waist - sits under the belly, and the sides are stretched with the ajustable elastic inside. they we're $70 but i got them from the factory shop sale for $29....bargain. yes i would definately wear them afterwards also.
    i also bought a pair of shorts size s from pumkin patch that are brown. i wish they we're black but they were on sale too so can't complain. both are of excellent quality and wash up beautifully. also i can see them lasting subsequent pregnancies.
    i too can't stand the maternity pants that fit over the belly, i love to dress up nicely and feel a bit ackward with a big belly, let alone wearing ugly pants etc that feel unflattering.
    i would have loved to have bought a nice summer dress, but the only ones i could find that i liked we're $150-$250. ridiculas...and i didn't buy them cause i will only wear it for a couple of months.
    i have loved to wear singlet tops, and just bought some that we're bigger sizes to accomodate my bump cause they we're only $10 and i could buy a few and with lots of colours yet the proper maternity ones are up to $39 and only limited to black and white.

I didnt end up buying much in the way of maternity clothes at all.....mainly because I couldnt find anything locally that didnt look old fashioned, that actually fit, or that came in colours other than white or black.....so I just bought up afew sizes of regular clothes.
    But of the few things I did try on or buy.....I much prefered the under-bump pants, otherwise I felt like I was being cut in half. One big problem with fitting I had was my boobs never got huge, and most of the tops that would fit the rest of me had excess fabric where I should have boobs lol not a good look at all!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12