Thread: Article of Interest.....

Default Article of Interest.....

Sex Ratio of Infants Born as a Result of Fertility Treatment
    Media Release 20-06-2006

Young Australian scientist has presented significant new research on the sex ratio of children born as a result of the two most common forms of fertility treatment In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) and Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) at this week’s 22nd annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology.

“We found that embryos, conceived using the IVF technique, and grown for a longer period of time, have a higher chance of being a boy,” said Jean Scott, embryologist, IVFAustralia, invited speaker at the conference.

“The purpose of this study was to examine live birth sex ratios for assisted reproductive technology pregnancies following blastocyst culture, where the embryo is grown for 5 days before being transferred back to the woman,” she explained.

If a couple has IVF, not ICSI, and the embryo is grown to a blastocyst before being transferred back to the woman, there is a 56 per cent chance the child will be a boy.

Ms Scott explained that the reason for this is that today we predominantly undertake single embryo transfers, and as male embryos grow slightly faster than female embryos, the embryo selected at first transfer is more likely to be a boy.

“This study is reporting on results of two fertility treatments most commonly undertaken across the country. We do not believe this research will influence a change in treatments or affect the future number of girls and boys being born as a result of assisted conception,” said A/Professor Peter Illingworth, Medical Director IVFAustralia.

”We will provide our patients with information about this effect and that this approach will give them a slightly higher chance of having a boy. However, the most important aspect is that fertility teams will continue to select the most advanced appearing embryos to give a couple the optimal chance of conceiving a baby,” he said.

The study also reviewed a number of possible causes for shifts in sex ratios including media batch variation, individual patient embryonic development, stage of Day 5 embryo transferred and maternal age.

There was a significant difference in sex ratios when analysing individual patient blastocyst developmental rates. It appears that overall slower developmental rates were associated with a higher incidence of females being born and faster developmental rates with more males.
    Neither maternal age nor media batch variability contributed greatly to the shift in sex ratios observed.
    Hhmmm, seems the higher incidence of boys we found in here, is not just coincidence....

Sal Guest

hmmmm 56%...but isn't the 'normal' chance of having a boy higher anyhow, I thought it was in the region of 56%?!?!?!

Now this is interesting ... I had read once before that IVF babies (particularly first transfer) were more likely to be male. I wasn't sure of the reason why.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that there seem to be more boy babies around at the moment... if the clothing sections in KMart and Target are anything to go by. Racks and racks of girl baby clothes and nobody is buying them!

Yeah, Sal when reading through I thought..."hhhmmm 56% isnt that far off half.... doesnt seem that drastic that they would suggest it as significant"... but seems they have

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

very interesting

i read somewhere that they also say ICSI bubs are more likely to be girls because X sperm are bigger and stronger ? but slower and easier to catch LOL scientists choose these ones first but with IVF boys Y sperm they wash them and they outlast the FEMALE ones ? also get to the egg first ... what does everyone else know ?

can we do a poll ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal
    hmmmm 56%...but isn't the 'normal' chance of having a boy higher anyhow, I thought it was in the region of 56%?!?!?!
    The "normal" figure is 54%. This does seem quite insignificant! Also, some IVF parents pick the gender, we know that some cultures have a male bias, so that's probably the most likely reason why the figure for IVF is slightly higher.

If this was on a smallish sample group (ie <1000) then these results are insignificant - for >10000 then this is more significant, but I'd need to see the figures to tell you!

Thanks for posting that Keen.

I found it rather interesting - just another thing to ponder over lol.

Thanks Keen for posting that.....I still have faith that we might get a blue one !
    Bec

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Ryn,

Using IVF for family balancing purposes is not legal in Australia anymore! Lol! But I do know that when you do PGD, they will tell you if the emby you're transferring is a boy or girl if you ask nicely. But they won't purposely put a boy emby back instead of a girl emby, IYKWIM!

Yup, over here they shouldn't either. But there are more people out there ready to take a bribe than will admit to it! Ah, when did I get so cynical?

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Really? God, I'd never think to bribe someone! What if they took offence? ROFL! Can you tell I'm a real goody-goody?

Very interesting. I have had a boy on 3 day embryo and now im pg with a blast 6 day old. will be interesting what I have. I dont mind what it is i just feel blessed that im pg again. im sooooooooooooooooooo excited...lol