Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retroverted uterus

Default Retroverted uterus

Hi there,
    Was just wondering if anyone has (or has heard of) a retroverted uterus. The ultrasound guy said I have one, which would mean I will always have to have internal u/s! He said it makes no difference to my ability to carry a baby, but that ws whilst he was examining me when I had miscarried, so i am not convinced.

Can anyone enlighten me??

Thanks

I got told I had one many years ago and was told it makes no difference to conception nor carrying a child. I also have my doubts seeing that I've not had much luck in that department.

JoJo Guest

Hi all, I have a retroverted uterus and am approx 18 weeks pg with twins. My ob does normal u/s all the time (not internal) and has not had any problems seeing/hearing bubs. He said to me it didn't matter in carrying a child. My sister also has retroverted uterus and carried her child without a problem. she was told by her ob that whilst pg the uterus realigns or something like that.

So I would try not to worry about it, but always worth asking ob what they think.

Don't know much more

I think it means your uterus is tilted backwards into your body doesn't it. My best friend has one and has not had a problem with her pg. Sorry to hear about your loss. How are you going

yes i have one too and was also having some doubts as I have had a misscarriage. I too had to have internal u/s because they couldn't see anything at all. I held my bladder for nothing

on saturday i will be 7 wks pregnant and I can't wait to get past the 8wk mark (i had mc at 8wks last time), at least my doubts about my retroverted uterus may ease a bit.

hey at least we don't have to hold our bladders when we go for an u/s. so we are lucky in one way

Default I've got one too!

The ultra sound lady said yesterday that I have one too. I asked her what that meant and she said it is where the uterus tilts posteriorly (towards the back of the body) rather than anteriorly (towards the front). Both she and the radiologist said that the uterus can change position at anytime, and that they have both seen one re-align during an ultrasound. They said that as your pregnancy progresses, the uterus will naturally realign, and that it has no effect on conception nor does it cause a miscarriage. But, having said that, I had a miscarriage last year, and now am ?5weeks pregnant, though there is a high probability that I have miscarried this one too, so who knows??

A long time ago I had an u/s to check my ovaries, and the report said I had a retroverted cervix but normal uterus. Both of these don't go together but I put it out of my mind (I was about 18). I managed to get pregnant and carry DD to term with no problems. DD was unplanned. Recently I had an u/s to check my ovaries again, and the report said I had a retroverted uterus. Which made me think, finally, someone said what I was thinking. Not sure how this affects me after having had a baby.

I have a retroverted uterus... as you can see from my sig I have no trouble carrying babies... AND I am pg with #5...

Wow, everyone's got one!! When I found out about mine I looked it up - it means its tilted the wrong way. Apparently 99% of the time it will realign itself, or it can be realigned by a doc. Very rarely it will cause a miscarriage at 4 months if it doesn't realign.

I think as long as your medical care providers are aware of it you should have no problem - and whenever you get a scan just ask if its righted itself

i have one and I had 3 healthy pregnancies No internal u/s either so that is not correct.

mee tooo- i had both internal adn external. no diff having babbies and it reverted itself after number 1

This is actually so common that it's considered just a variation of normal. I think about 30% of women or something.

I have one It isn't related to miscarriage in any way so please don't worry about that - miscarriages, unfortunately are also reasonably common so women with a retroverted uterus are going to experience them, just as women with an anteverted uterus do.

I'm sorry your little one was lost, much healing to you hun

I have a question: would having a retroverted uterus make period pain worse than if it were anteverted? I have experienced labour, and I assume my uterus righted itself (noone detected anything out of the ordinary), but normal period pain, is it worse?

Quote Originally Posted by echidna View Post
    I have a question: would having a retroverted uterus make period pain worse than if it were anteverted? I have experienced labour, and I assume my uterus righted itself (noone detected anything out of the ordinary), but normal period pain, is it worse?
    I don't think it makes it worse but I've always experienced most of my period pain in my back, rather than my belly and I think that's reasonably common. I always know my AF is coming because my lower back just aches. Never having had period "cramps" made labour a rude shock though

Ah ok. I can see your point. I get a lot of backache too. HOly dooley, I hope you managed ok in labour.

For those whose uterus' have righted themselves, what difference has this made to your AF?

Hello!
    I only found out with my last u/s (my third pg) that I have a retroverted uterus.
    I haven't found anything particularly uncomfortable (although I don't have a basis for comparison!).
    Apparently the only thing that is supposed to be more uncomfortable than "normally" positioned uteruses are pap smears - they need to probe a little more apparently...
    I don't buy what your sonographer said as far as "You will always need an internal ultrasound.." that hasn't been the case for me at all - even at the 5 week point we could see the tiny sac in my uterus externally.
    I had a fantastic birth with my DS (text book pg actually- all with external u/s) - so at least for me the r/u didn't mean anything different for me.
    Hope this has helped
    Good luck TTC sweety

The only times I've had internal u/s is when I've been referred to check my ovaries for cysts. They have to go internal to see the ovaries. For my bub, it was straight on my belly.

True about the pap smear. If you get an idiot doctor they will hurt

Even when I had my balloons inserted for induction, the obs that did it took 15 minutes of mucking about, then called his boss to do it cos he couldn't find my cervix, he had no idea what he was doing. That's when I found out it was retroverted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast