Thread: 18-20 Week Ultrasound

Default 18-20 Week Ultrasound

Hi guys,

I was thinking of getting a 4D ultrasound around the 18-20 week point and was curious if the 4D is good enough for the hospital or do you need to do a normal one for their records? :-k
    Just wanting to start thinking about booking in as my 18-20 mark is around Easter and school holidays.

Thanks!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Kellxx,

I just had my 18-19 wk u/s yesterday and they need to do it normal mode to check the growth/ measurements and structures - see skull,ventricles , length of femur (thigh bone) , see the heart and four chambers (check no holes), kidneys, stomach etc. It is an importnat scan - has your DR or OB refered you yet ?

In 3D you can't see through the skin - 4D shows baby moving in 3D. They can switch it over and show you the baby's face. We saw one twin waving his hand and both with their arms over their faces. Most hospital & u/s places have 3D machines now - and they happily show you at some time during the scan. New machines do it all.

AT this stage babies still look a bit freaky in 3D - later on pregnancy when they have more 'fat' in their faces the pictures look great. We saw them on wall.

AT our 18- 19wk when it was in sepia colour it was not all that clear - we had our 12 week one at public hospital and it was clearer then - it was more black & white.

Public hospitals won't let you video but private places do - that is why we went to a private u/s place.

We paid $65 out of pocket -they bill rest to medicare. You send them the medicare chq when you get it. Easy.

Goodluck

Hi Baby~amore`

Thank you for the info. I gave the place i was going to book into a call and they explained it similar to what youve said. They said its not all that cute in 3D yet as theres no fat or anything and most people dont do the 3D until about 26-32 weeks. That place charges $255 so im going to just do the normal one at the 18-20 week mark (somewhere cheaper) and then perhaps the 3D later on. Maybe the place im going to will have 3D, hopefully.

I live round the Windsor area, where abouts did you go for your scan?

Kellxx, I had my 19/20wk ultrasound done in Penrith, the scan itself was done in 2d for all the measurements etc and then he did some 3d photos for us. We have a DVD of the whole scan. It cost us $160 (i think.. maybe $180) and $5 for the DVD and Medicare rebated a fair chunk of it. Depends where you are in the safety net too.

If you look at my www I have the 3d pics up there. They're still cute even at 19wks I was expecting a skeletal little alien, but he looks like a little baby!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

The U/S place is in Windsor main street and they will show you in 3D but do scan normally.

Sydney Pregnancy and Women's U/S service - they even email you a few pics to home computer

Best $ 65 is all you pay out of pocket - they are very nice but book early.

I only had to take the Hospital referal form .

Ps the video is $5 or take your own

Hi Ivana_baby,
    Those pics are so cute! That place i rang originally said they werent cute but they were wrong with yours! What was the place in Penrith called? They sound really good.

Baby~amore, thank you.. if i cant get into the Penrith one ill try that one at Windsor. Thats really good that so many places have this technology now and arent charging through the roof for it!

Thanks guys!

skyelar Guest

Hello Kell I go to Penrith Ultrasound for Women. It is opposite the side entry to the private hospital, in front of Tresillian. From memory it was $110+ for my scans last pregnancy. My Dr refers his patients there for the major scans, otherwise he has a machine in his room to have a sneak peek at all our visits.

yup... Penrith Ultrasound for Women. I just looked up what we paid.. it was $180 for the u/s and $5 for the DVD. If you book there, make sure you request the 3d room.

Thanks guys! I just made my booking for the 13th April. Yep $180 plus $5 for the dvd. How exciting!! I cant wait now!!

Thank you all so much!!!

skyelar Guest

Ivana just checked out your www u/s pics! Cute :boy:
    We have the same OB!!!
    Did JP tell you it is a boy or did you find out at your scan upstairs?

I asked him before the scan, but bubs didn't co-operate, so we found out at the 19w scan. And the OB has confirmed it a few times since... coz I wanna keep checking it's still a boy! heheh

He's a great OB. Very balanced views on everything I reckon. We might bump into each other in the waiting room one day! heheh. My weekly appointments are usually on Mondays these days. But I'll only have a couple more to go I guess! :shock:

Good luck with your pg's girls