Thread: 19 and 28 week scans - big head little legs?

Question 19 and 28 week scans - big head little legs?

Hi,

Has anybody had results of their 19 week scan with their baby's head (diameter) being 2 weeks in advance and the legs (femur length) being a week behind the average for that time? We are sure of our dates.

We have just had a repeat scan at 28.5 weeks and the situation is the same - everything has moved along nicely but the head is more like 31 weeks and the legs are 27 weeks.

Are we just getting a baby with a big head and little legs? The sonographer didn't seem concerned. We are considering naming our baby "stumpy bum"

Thanks!

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Hi There jja,

I really wouldn't be too concerned, both of my children had large heads and short legs. DS - 36cm - DD 38cm (head circumference), but believe me they definately didn't look out of proportion, they looked like perfectly healthy little bundles of joy. U/S sizing results are not as accurate as we would like them to be. Good Luck with everything, best wishes for the safe arrival of your little one.
    Last edited by MUMMY4LIFE; October 18th, 2006 at 05:06 PM.

I had the other way round - legs long and head small for dates. But for "my" EDD, the head is bang on and for the LMP EDD, which the hospital use, it's small.

I just reckon that some people are fatter, some thinner, some have short legs, some long... babies are the same. Wouldn't it be dull if every baby looked the same - not to mention embarrassing if you needed a tag to tell you which baby was yours! I'm sure that with growth and stuff once the baby is out it will all change anyway.

motherduck Guest

My DD had a bigger than normal sized head also and I recon It's to fit all her brains in.

My DS had smaller legs than normal. But i put that down to the fact that I am not the tallest person and DF is not that much taller than me. So i wouldnt worry too much.
    Wishing you a safe arrival of your precious bundle..

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

The different in measurements is so tiny I wouldn't worry at all. As the scans are further along, the more their genetics play out and conform less to the 'averages' - remembering it takes biggies and smallies to make averages...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I had a 36 week scan and they said short legs, big tummy, small head (about 4 weeks difference in dates). I left thinking I was going to give birth to a turtle!! Then I thought about it and it's such tiny measurements (1/2 cm etc) that I realised it didn't matter. Bub was born perfect, actually has long legs and a normal tum and head!! I think the dates they give for every measurement is VERY misleading, worrying and also based on an average of so many babies that are totally different sizes.x xoox

my ds was born with a slightly small head circumference in proportion to the rest of his body but by his 6 month check up it was bigger ( then the rest of his body) he dosent look out of proportion at all though
    sorry jja i know that isnt directly related to your question i was just pointing out how these things change i wouldnt worry

my 28 weeks scan said that charie was freakishly long with a small head!! stressed me out for the next few months! he came out perfect only 51cm and a normal 34.5cm head
    I wouldn't be too stressed about it at all

Abby's legs were measuring 2+ weeks behind her body (her body was 2ish weeks behind her head!! lol) and she turned out just fine, perfect infact. We had about 6 scans, tho in about 2 of them her legs were spot on! (head was always huge!) It depends on whos doing the measuring. I wouldnt worry about it.

HTH

Thanks for all your responses, its made me feel much better! Its hard to be logical about these things sometimes!

in my family, BIG heads seem to be Common. My two daughters had heads measuring a few weeks biiger than dates. Their dad's family all have big heads and thick skulls. My daughters can headbutt anyone/anything with hardly a whimper! And they were both measuring behind in body measurements, however they were both considered adverage when born and both healthy and no real problems. Fingers crossed the same happens with you.....I am sure ur bub will be fine and a good size!