Thread: 20 Week Check Up - What to Expect?

Babushka Doll Guest

Question 20 Week Check Up - What to Expect?

Hi Girls

I have my 20 week check up next week, and was just wondering what to expect...?

I noticed that the charge is double for this check up so im thinking that there may be a little more poking and prodding that the usual - BP, Baby HB, swollen ankles check etc..

I only had an internal exam on my first visit, which wasn't routine but was due to past laser surgery of my cervix. Ob just wanted to check that the cervix hadn't been 'shortened' in the process, which it hadn't.

Has anyone had their check up recently? what did it involve for you?

My 20 week checkup was fairly close to my other ob apptmts but it was longer and we chatted about birth options. Plus he had a look at the u/sound report and did some measurements and stuff.

the only difference for me was listening to bubs HB on the doppler, measuring the fundal height of the uterus and urine checking for protein.

No difference at all for me...

My 20 week appointment was just checking my BP, listening for bubs HB on the doppler (couldnt hear it due to bubs position and placenta in the way), measuring fundal height, then any questions I wanted to ask. Seriously took less than 10 minutes.

Hi
    I had a 20wk u/s followed by a 21wk check-up with the doctor who gave me the results of the u/s. The u/s took about 20mins and they look at the baby thoroughly and make lots of measurements. Then the 21wk check-up was my bp, fundal height and general concerns I have. Nothing speak really - oh but I did get to hear babies heartbeat too.

Good luck. Enjoy this one as it will probably be the last time you see bubs before the birth!!

There was nothing different other than getting the results of the u/s. I always get to hear baby's HB, and OB has been doing fundal height for a while anyway. Then just the usual stuff. No longer than any other appointment (it also didn't cost any extra for just the appointment but if you are talking about the u/s that was a seperate expense - not that cheap either!). Have fun.

Babushka Doll Guest

Hi Girls, thanx for the input - We are having our 18-20wk u/s on Tuesday and the OB visit is on Wednesday - I guessed that we would be discussing the results of that, but just wondered if he would do anything 'invasive' at the 20 week check up as ironically it is costing double the amount for the appointment ....and I am getting my $3000.00 Pregnancy Management bill!