Thread: 20 week u/s - irregular h/beat

Default 20 week u/s - irregular h/beat

Just after some advice/reassurance.

Had my 20 week u/s on Monday and sonographer told me that bubs h/b was a bit irregular. When we had a close listen, every now and then it is 'skipping' a beat. At my 12 w u/s bubs hb was fine. Sonographer called my obs and obs suggested I have another u/s next Monday to check it again. He said that if it is irregular again they will refer me to a cardiac paediatrician but said that most times it 'fixes' itself.

Has anybody had the same issue and if so, what did you do? Or has anybody heard of this before?

Thanks

G'day Jooleshere -

I haven't experienced this, but I just want to offer you *hugs* and here's to it being an anomaly and fixing itself.

kaz

I also don't have any info to give you regarding irregular heartbeats, but take comfort in knowing that they are very skilled at what they do and the scans can pick up many things now that never used to be detected til after bubs is born.

We've just seen a Pead Cardiologist cause our baby Tia was discovered to have a large hole in her heart and a narrowing of a pulmonary valve at our 18wk scan. The Pead card was excellent and has provided us with very positive info and explained how we will go about fixing the problem.

I'm sure that your baby will be fine because it sounds as though the sonographer was unable to see any problems with the heart itself.

It is a scary time when you think that something may be wrong with your baby - trust me i'm there - but heart conditions are extremely common and Dr's are exeptionally skilled and prepared to deal with any situation may it be minor or major.

I hope that at your next scan all will be perfect again and that it was just a one off

Hi Kazbah & Rae,

Thanks for your replies.

I feel alot better after reading your post Rae. I guess I will know what is happening on Monday & if I have to be referred on.

Thanks again

Keep us posted! Wishing you and bubs all the best

All ok with u/s. Looks like it was a once off, so bubs was just being cheeky. Sonographer said to ensure that Obs has a close listen to hb each visit in case it comes back again. Phew...... feel much better now

Such great news!!! I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you and bubs too