Thread: 20 weeks/no movement

Megan76 Guest

Default 20 weeks/no movement

I am 20 weeks today and don't really think i have felt much baby movement at all! I am getting worried, is this ok for a first pregnancy????

Hi Megan,
    It is not uncommon to not feel movement yet in a first pregnancy. If your placenta is anterior (at the front of your uterus) this will cushion the babies movements as well making them harder to detect.
    Have you had a morphology u/s? If you are worried I would call your care provider and they will be only too happy to do a quick listen with the doppler. I am sure this will put your mind at ease.

Hi Megan
    Some first time mums don't feel movement until 22 weks or so. Usually the first movements you feel will feel like butterflies in your tummy.

Megan76 Guest

Thanks Deb,
    I did have the scan at 18.5 weeks and everything was fine, i think he did say my placenta was at the front. I guess i just get worried when i hear of so many other people feeling obvious movement so much earlier!! It's hard when you don't really know what you are feeling aswell! Thanks!!

Megan76 Guest

Sorry thanks Alan too! Will try try and stop worrying just yet!!

I so very much understand - those first movements are just beautiful. Before you know it youwill feel them. I know that some women report movements very very early on but as I said above it's not at all unusual not to feel them yet too. That's the thing with this whole pregnancy mothering gig there are no hard rules. These babies do their thing and we wait with baited breath!
    My first movements always feel a little like wind (without the flatus!) and sometimes like something crawling under my skin... Butterflies as Alan says is another way women feel first movements.
    Wishing you a healthy pregnancy!

Megan - I started feeling just little butterflies (or wind!!like) m/ments at the end of my 20th week _ I was worried too when i read some peole felt bub at 15/16 weeks but they are all individual arent they. Have you tried a very cold drink- feet up relaxed to see if you can feel anything? This works for me even now when bubby is a bit quiet.
    All the best.

Rest assured I didn't feel any movements until 23 weeks and three of my girlfriends didn't feel movement until arond the same time. You'll feel bubby move any day and it is amazing

the cold water thing - until yesterday, i had read about, and tried it without success. Until, Alan posted and said that you have to drink cold cold water (or lemonade or OJ) really really fast, as fast as you can. As fast as you can. I drank maybe 600ml last night, and was pretty much instantly rewarded.

Icy cold drinks are the best.

Icy cold drinks may not work for megan. How they work is to anoy you baby with the sudden cold also the boost of sugar can help. But if megans baby is not quite ready to move or if its movements are too small to feel yet, a cold drink will not help much

Hi Megan,

I know how you feel. Even though I'm about a month behind you, I've also noticed other women are feeling movements now and it does make me worry. But, I had my last ultrasound on Tuesday and bub was jumping around like a little champ so I guess I just have to wait.

The last few days I've wondered if I felt something, was a bit like gas pains......but then I think it turned out actually to be gas. DF was laughing at me!

Megan, I hope you feel that little bubba soon!

I idnt feel any movements till I was 19 weeks, but the midwife did say some people dont feel it till 22 or 23 weeks.

Megan76 Guest

Thanks heaps everybody!!! Guess what? I think i have actually felt some action this weekend!! I few pushes that i cannot mistake as gas!! I think i might have had that fluttering feeling for a few weeks but just not been sure if that was it or not! I have an ultrasound this week so that should put my mind at ease. Thanks for all the tips and reassurance, it is such a weird road......

I didnt feel my first moving til after 25wks!!! I am worrying too as I felt movements but now feel it less, I am going to ask at my scan in 13 days where the placenta is, as both my previous pregnancies it was at the back, this ome maybe is at the front & cushioning!??

Goodluck to both Megan and Tracey with your u/s this week. I am sure it will all be good.