Thread: 23 weeks measuring 26??

Default 23 weeks measuring 26??

Hi
    Im 23 weeks pg but i went for my checkup today and im measuring 26. Does that mean im having a big baby? Or is it because he is going through a growth spurt? I know it sounds weird me asking but i have never had that happen in my other 2 pgs. Has anyone else had it happen and what was the outcome?

Nina was always measuring ahead with our ultrasounds, even from the 12 week scan, she measured 13 weeks. At 20 weeks she measured 21wks. She was born 12 days early weighing 6 pound 9, so wasn't a big baby at all.
    That's only my experience. It could be just a growth spurt. I think if he's measuring that far ahead when you're over 30 weeks then you can assume he's a big boy.
    Sorry, probably not much help am I!!

Charlie always measured in greater than his dates.......and ended up being born at 6lb 13oz..........go figure?? And fairly "short" too, at birth. He is a big boy now though...........

Please don't worry about the fundal height measurement. They don't give an indicator of the baby's size, but rather that your uterus is growing. There are so many factors that can alter the measurements too, like the position of the baby and how much fluid you are carrying. Many Doctors don't even measure the fundal height.

When I had the scan for this baby at 20 weeks she measured 23 weeks, so the same age difference, I put it down to a growth spurt & was probably right, her fundal height now is spot on and I'm 39 + weeks.

The way they measure can vary too. I had a bit reading 2 weeks ago (she read 31cm and I was just over 30w according to their records, but closer to 31w according to my dates).
    Anyway - I noticed that she held the tape quite loose, and actually asked me if it was the top of the areas they should measure from. Probably a bit like BP - can change according to the person doing the measuring.

Hmmm well i am hoping that he has just gone through a growth spurt. I dont like thinking that he is going to be big.. I spoke to my mum and she said that it may be diabetes in pregnancy, im going for the BGT on the 20th Nov so i will find out then!
    Thankyou for your posts!
    Jenni

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

As Sherie said, its an inaccurate measure anyway, the fundal height changes with baby's position, the amount of fluid etc. You may also have a long baby but that doesn't mean big. If you are concerned about having a big baby, read New Active Birth by Janet Balaskas where you will learn things like how you can get an extra 30% space in your pelvis simply by the position you are in. Also read the article I just posted: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ad.php?t=22774

Its nothing to fear at all - the difference between two weeks growth is so tiny, you'd be surprised how much you are worrying about.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks Kelly,
    I am not really worried if the baby is 10lb 12oz as long as he is happy and healthy that is the main thing. Also my Pelvis has started "falling apart" already (well i think it has) because i have gotten 'clicky hips'. Dr says its normal. Maybe thats why i was worried coz of my clicky hips!!
    Oh well i will just have to take things easy, and i go for another U/S in Jan.
    Thanks again!

Hey Jen
    I went to the doctors a week and a half ago, at 21 weeks, and I measured in at 25 cm's, and my doctor was a bit worried about me developing GD, so is sending me for a full GTT at 26 weeks, also another US scan (though they want to check bubbas heart in detail, so that is the US reason). I developed GD last pregnancy, so they are just keeping an eye on things and try to prevent it this time. I am not worried at all about bubba being big, or long, as all mine are long, and big (DH is 6ft 4, i am only just 5ft 5) so i kinda expect it, so no probs as long as you can stay comfortable, things should be fine