Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4d scan Perth

Default 4d scan Perth

Hi Guys

I'm new here so be gentle please

I am 17 weeks preggie and i am supposidly having shared care between my GP and my local public hospital, i say supposidly because my GP hasn't referred me yet and I've only seen him once to say "hi I'' pregnant" and once to say "erm...could i hace that referral for the NT please" but i have made an appointment to see him tomorrow, mainly because i think i should have been to book in at the hospital by now and also because i need a referral for my 20 weeker.

Now my question, does anyone know where i can go for a 4d 20 week ultrasound in Perth, that will take a public patient. I've tried a google search but it comes up with nothing and i would quite happily stake my life savings ($2.50) on the fact my GP won't have a clue. I know i can just toddle off to my local imaging ctr and happily have a normal bog standard scan but i just thought i'd like to "go the whole hog" seen as this will be the last chance i have.

All suggestions very gratefully received.......

Taz

You cant get them here without medical reason I think, esp as a public patient. I could be wrong as Im a private patient but I still cant get one. I have to have a growth check scan soon so I will be badgering my OB to send me for a 4d one.

Maybe someone else knows of how you can do it.

I had my scans done at King Eddie (I'm booked at the Family Birth Centre) - I'm pretty sure you have to be a patient of the hospital to get scans done there. I opted to pay $20 to get a video of my 18 week scan (otherwise the scan is free) and during the scan they did switch over to 3d mode which was also on my video as well as on the printouts I received.

So KEMH does have 3d scanning technology there, but not sure how you go about getting it.. I never asked for it!

Thanks for that guys, I'll see what my doc says today, i don't mind having to pay for it but trying to find somewhere seems to be a big problem. I'm also going to call the imaging centre where i would normally go and see if they can give me any suggestions. There is no medical reason for it, just plain old curiosity really!!

Taz

Hi,

Im pretty sure you can pay big bucks to get one done at St John of God (Subiaco, im pretty sure). As has been said KEMH does them and has the facilities to do them but you have to be a patient there and have a really good reason to have one done even then.

I think these are the only 2 places in Perth you can get them done.

A suggestion though, i wouldnt have one done for your 20 wk scan, they are much better when done at around 28 wks i am told. Much clearer and you can see more.

I hope you get booked in somewhere soon as you sure should be by now.

I had 3D at Attadale Hospital. But again private patient and booked into that hospital see OB at that hospital etc.

Hope you find what you want.

To be honest, I had a 4d scan done at 26 weeks, and was dissapointed with it. I went thru fetal photos. A company that was set up for parents wanting to have a dvd done of their unborn, as a keep sake. I wouldnt do it with the next one though.

Well thatnks girls for all that, the outcome was........

I went to doc yesterday and he asked why i was there, ok he's busy but a quick look at my notes should have preped him. He gave me a form to fill out and send to the hospital to arrange my booking in appointment then asked where i wanted my scan done. I said well i'd kind of like one of those 4d ones if i can find somewhere, he said he had no idea what a 4d scan was let alone where to have one as he'd never heard of them and said there you go there's a referral to the local imaging centre. he felt my belly took my bp and that was that. No chance to hear the heartbeat or to even discuss the 4d scan so he could help me find out.

I fancy having a 3d one done later on but i'd heard if you had the 4d for the anatomy scan then it would be partially covered by medicare, but hey if i have a 3d later then it's always an extra chance to have a look at bubs. Thats of course if i can find somewhere here that does them.

I have decided on shared care between my gp and the hospital but now i'm wondering if that was a good idea. I don't want to go private as i never have before and don't see the need, plus as my due date is christmas i don;t want some OB advising a section or an early induction just so he can be sure of getting christmas dinner with his family

Once again thanks for the help.
    Taz

Taz i hope you are able to find someone that will do a 4d scan for you.

I asked at the place I've been having my scans and they don't do them and i will be asking my Dr when i see her next week if i can go for one. I have a medical reason so they should send me for one. At least i hope they let me with Alexander born with Kidney problems i was told this one will be checked as well so i think a 3d/4d woudl show a better picture.

GL.

Thanks for that i will track down that Dr today and see what i can find out. I feel a bit of a fraud asking for 1 without a medical reason, but as this is my last i wont have the chance again and i've heard of all these people in the eastern states having them "just for fun" getting dvds etc and i really feel like i'm missing out..... god i hate missing out:mad:

On the subject of my doc, he's usually quite good and i feel quite comfortable with him, but i think at 4 pregnancies i have more experience than him, but last time i had all my care at Joondalup hospital and i had to wait around 2 hours every time, now with my youngest being 2 and a complete handful i'd be exploding the bp machine if i had to wait with him for 2 hours, plus last time i had SPD which was hell, only they refusedto acknowledge it until i went in one day and just broke down at the thought of 2 hours on the plastic chairs, next thing i know i'm having a psyche consult and being told i have depression because i can't stop crying, i then yelled that i wasn't depressed i was in agony and could hardly move and if only someone would try and help me i would be a lot less tearful than i was...... enter the bloke in charge (can't remember his name) he listened to my story, agreed i had acute SPD and should have had help long before, by this time it was only 2 weeks to go anyway but he recommended i was induced on my due date if nothing happened before then.

So you see my doc has soft seats and a bloke that knows i'm not barking mad, even if he knows bugger all about having a bub........ mind you that said i was awake at 3am worried that something was wrong as he said i should be getting movement by now, i don't, well nothing i can feel and of course the fact i didn't get to hear the heart beat was all adding up to make all sorts of scary things go through my head in the middle of the night.

I'll let you know how i go with the mission for the scan!!

Taz

Well just a quick update girls......

I tracked down Dr Murphy this morning and spoke to a fab girl there who was sooo helpful. She said she will authorise the use of the referral i already have so i don't have to go through any hassle with my GP and has booked me in for aug 8th which is a day short of me being 20 weeks. She said you do need a medical reason but an anatomy scan is reason enough.

Just called the other half and told him and his response was why don't you just have an ordinary one done to get it done earlier what is it with men, they just don't have a clue do they, i guess they think with their heads and not their hearts.

So a huge thankyou to all you girls who've helped with this, i am very very appreciative of the info and i will report back to let you know how it goes, fingers crossed it's all good.

Taz

That is great news Taz.
    Maybe i will use the referal for my 18wk scan as well and see Dr Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by *Michelle*
    That is great news Taz.
    Maybe i will use the referal for my 18wk scan as well and see Dr Murphy.
    Michelle

It shouldn't be a problem by what the lady said to me today, it's maybe worth while speaking to them first before you next see your doc and then you can tell your Dr exactly what you want. I have the telephone number for his rooms, if you want it send me a pm.

I'm really quite excited about it, but at the same tme ihave this nagging thought in the back of my head "what if i've got thid all organised this time and there is a problem", i guess i'm just a born worrier!!

Taz

Taz i can't PM you but you can email me the number too [email protected]

Taz only 5 days til you scan can't wait to hear all about it.

I had my scan this morning, everything is fine whch is a huge relief, i don't know whay but i was really worried about it, anyway we have 10 fingers, 10 toes and everything that should be working is in good working order.

The 3d part was a dissapointment as bubs was hiding it's face under the placenta, so we couldn't get a good shot, but i'm glad we went for it as at least i can say we tried that instead of i wish i'd had one of them.

I can honestly say though itis one of the most comprehensive scans i've had, with my other 3 they were all done in the UK and it was all a bit impersonal, rushed and although you left having been told everything was fine you felt like you didn't really know for sure. Today she went over everything, even pointing out all the individual bones in the legs and the spine, showing the urine in the bladder, she even went nto details on the brain, heart and kidneys. At the end both of them said that as far as a 20 week scan goes it was as near perfect as you can get then said go home and enjoy the next 20 weeks.

You can't wish for more than that can you

Taz

Taz that is great news your scan went well.
    Did Anthony Murphy not do it for you ?
    Did you find out the sex of the baby ?

Michelle

It was a lady who did it, i don't know her name, she was english. He came in about half way through and commented on it all too, it wasn't like she was an apprentice or anything and he was supervising, it was like they were both doing it.

They were both really nice and very reassuring.

Yes i did find out, but it's my secret

Taz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast