Thread: Am I stressing for nothing?

Default Am I stressing for nothing?

I have only just started to feel the movements of bubs, very irregular and sometimes I am not even sure if it's bubs or just gases going on in there. I have no idea why but today I am stressing that something has gone wrong as I haven't felt anything since Saturday.

I will get my midwife at work to doppler me tomorrow when she is back at work, but that wont stop the stress for today...

I have woken up a few times at might on my back and am worried that the baby hasn't had enough oxygen, I have since put a pillow under my back so that I am not flat on my back if I roll over.

So I guess I am asking a few questions...

1. What do the first movements feel like?

2. How often do/did you get them?

3. Is it normal to feel like this?

Thanks for listening.... mel

Hi Melissa,

First movements sort of feel fluttery, almost like gases in your stomach. Sometimes they are so faint that you might not even notice them. Things like the position of your placenta can sort of muffle the feeling for example if it is on the anterior or front wall of the uterus.

In the first few weeks of getting movements you might not always feel them, I know this can be scary though. I'm not sure how many weeks you are as you haven't posted this so I can say too much either way.

I think because you have already lost 2 babies you might be alittle more worrisome(sp?) and of course this is founded. BTW the whole oxygen thing with bub is probably more something to worry about in late term pregnancy, and usually by then it is too uncomfortable to lay flat on your back anyway.

Hope I have helped in some small way to ease your mind.

Thanks Trish

I am 20 weeks pg... Have to put my ticker back on!

Hi Mel,
    I'm due on the 6th of September and have only started to feel regular movement as well.
    If your worried, drink something sweet and lay down for a while. That might get a flutter or two for you.
    First movements are like little flutters in the lower half of your tummy. Up until the last few days I was feeling them a couple of times a day, but not at all if I was really busy. You tend to notice them more when you are quiet.
    Its completely normal to feel like this. Also , dont stress about waking on your back. I have done it acidentally nearly every night with all of my pg's. Just make sure you roll over as soon as you notice you are on your back.
    Good luck and try to relax. In a few months you'll be wanting a break from that rib-tickling!!

Thanks heaps rayla... It's good to know that you have only just started to feel the movements too... all the books say that you should be feeling them after 18 weeks, but not to worry if you don't... yeah thats easier said than done!!!

I have only felt flutters a couple of times, the rest it feels more like a heart beating once somewhere on the inside... is this normal too?

It sure is Melissa. I think sometimes you can fell them move and it's like hmm was that a movement or not? As Rayla said all to soon you will be wanting bub to take it easy so you can have a rest. With my last pg I didn't feel her move until well and truely 20 weeks and even then only very slightly.

Wink

Awesome... That makes me feel much better...

I will still get my midwife at work to use the doppler tomorrow, but I do feel much better now...

Ijust had one those heartbeat feelings, so hopefully it's the baby telling me to stop stressing and that it is fine in there!!!

Thanks again guys...

Hi Mel,

I just wanted to add that I didn't feel my first bub move until I was 20w pregnant either. I didn't feel the flutters at all, the first movement I felt was an actual kick. I was just sitting on the lounge watching the tv the first time it happened and it took me a moment to realise what I had just felt! It was like a little poke from the inside. I went and lay down on my bed and felt a couple more. And from that day on, they increased in regularity and strength as she grew bigger and stronger.

Like Trish said, after losing two bubs, it is only natural that you will have concerns during this pregnancy. Pregnancy after loss can be a stressful time, and I think you have the right idea getting the midwife to check on bub with the doppler tomorrow. Hearing that little heart beating away will give you the reassurance that you need atm.

With my first bub I definitely would go days without feeling movement between when I started feeling her at 15 weeks until at least 22 weeks, possibly later. Although they are big enough now that you can feel them, they still have *lots* of room so if they face inwards or whatever you might not feel anything for a day or longer.
    With this bub I feel her moving alot for a few days, then I don't feel her much at all for a few days (we're in one of those periods at the moment!). It's normal!
    I don't recall feeling movement every single day with Emily until I was in the mid-twenty something weeks.

My first time around I wasn't positive of moves until after 22 weeks, I did have an anterior placenta and didn't feel it as much, but once I did it was full on LOL. I don't remember feeling her everyday either, especially as I work on my feet & wouldn't have noticed those first movements anyway. Good luck & good idea to have a listen to know for sure