Thread: amnio advice

Hexham Guest

Default amnio advice

Hi there,
    I'm new to the site and live in Eltham. I've just had the NT result and blood test back which has given me an age-related high risk score of Down's (1 in 147) (I'm 40 yrs old). I think I want to book an amnio, and am wondering whether anyone else has had one and could recommend a clinic.
    We did our ultrasound with a Dr Chow (COGUS, Doncaster) and could go back there.
    Also, does it hurt? Will I inevitably cramp?
    Any advice much welcome

Hex

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hex,

Just going to move your post to the General Pregnancy Discussion forum as you should get a better response there. There is an article on amniocentesis on the main site, [url]www.bellybelly.biz[/url]. It requires a separate registration but it is free like the forums.

From what I understand, your age risk ratio seems quite good for 40. The other real factor to consider would be the actual test result ratio - what was the ratio based on the NT scan?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hi Hex,

I don't really know anything about having an amnio but I just wanted to welcome you to BellyBelly and wish you lots of luck with everything.

Hi Hex

I totally understand how anxious you must be. I have just had my NT scan and blood test results and I have a 1 in 79 risk of downs but a 1 in 28600 for multiple defects. I am only 35. Can I ask what your NT measurement was?

It is a huge decision but I am waiting to see my OB on Monday and discuss the results with him. The thing with an amnio is that I hate needles, and having had multiple m/c's am not willing to do anything risky with this one.

Have you spoken to your OB about it? He should be able to tell you what place has the lesser risk with amnio's.

Good Luck

Hexham Guest

Default amnio

Ho,
    Thanks for the welcome and responses. My NT result was 1 in 316 and I was fairly shocked to see my risk increase to 1 in 147 after the blood tests come through. On the ultrasound, the dr saw a nassal bone and the neck thickness was 1.5 - all quite good I thought, but then I guess my bloods must have been quite bad to bring the final risk figure down??? I don't know how these things are calculated

Hex

Hi Hex

One of the girls Lukesmum just recently had an amnio done. So she would be able to tell you mor about it. I will send her a message and ask her to tell you what she went through if she doesn't mind.

Love :hbeat:

Hexham Guest

Thanks so much for these responses - good to know others have come thru it. I'm nervous too cause this will be my last baby given my age. I'd really appreciate Lukesmom responding if she has time

Hex

Hexham Guest

thanks Lukesmum - useful info. I think I need to know one way or another so will go fwd with the amnio, even tho I'm scared.
    Thanks again
    Hex