Thread: Amniocentesis

Default Amniocentesis

Hi Ladies, I had my amniocentesis done yesterday, I am finally glad it is over, it wasn't as bad as I expected but it was still traumatic within itself. I am trying to rest as much as possible and I have a wonderful DH who is very supportive and helping me rest as we have a 2 year old. I do have one question to any ladies who have had an amnio done or know anything about it, but I am leaking a little amniotic fluid....I think. It isn't major but I just want to know if it is normal to do so. Like I said I think it is amniotic fluid but whilst being pregnant I have so much discharge (TMI) anyway so I not too sure? Can anyone offer any advice? I have no pain, no cramps and no bleeding?

Hi Joss
    You should rest as much as you can for the next 24 hours bed rest would be best
    If you are still leaking on monday or if the leaking increases tomorrow you should go to the hospital and get it checked out.

I didn't leak any amniotic fluid after mine but I was told that if I did experience that I was to call my doctor. It can happen sometimes but they need to keep an eye on it if it happens.

Chances are it's probably only CM anyway - it's so hard to tell when you have lots of it. One of the ladies in my belly buddies group thought she was leaking it and it turned out to be urine forced out by excessive vomitting!!!!!

I only rested for 24 hours and then went back to normal. I have not done any heavy lifting since (and will not for the rest of this pregnancy). I had no problems at all after the procedure and my results came back with no abormalities detected (as I'm sure yours will).

Are you getting FISH results or do you have to wait 2 weeks? I found the best thing about the FISH results was that it put my mind at ease partially and it was great to know the sex - it put our minds off the wait significantly.

Hey Satya, I have definaely opted for the FISH results so I am waiting for the results to come in today!!! I should get a phone call sometime this afternoon!! I rested all weekend, I have to say not exactly bed rest but I have been lying on the couch for the past 48 hours. I am still experience discharge but definately not as much as the last couple of days. I still don't know if it is amniotic fluid or just fluid, but I am assuming things are ok. If it continues or gets worse I will go back to the doctors this week. I just want the results today!!

Did you get your results Joss?

Sorry ladies, I forgot to post (I have been so relieved and excited the last few days), we got our FISH results back and they are normal which means the baby is fine. I also asked what sex......we are having another girl! I am so relieved!! Both my DH and I can now sleep easier and start really enjoying our precious gift!!