Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amniocentesis curiousity

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Gigi hon, I feel so bad I didn't see your post earlier.....you poor chook. My huge post on amnios was lost in the switch to the new forums, hence you couldn't find it. Like you, I felt woozy and emotionally and physically drained too, after my amnio.

I truely hope you get all clear results from your amnio.......the waiting will be tough, so prepare yourself for that.

If you do have to go for a CVS, it is a very similar procedure. I had my amnio done in Darwin in Feb 05, and my CVS for my current pregnancy in Adelaide just recently, and despite the different practicioners etc, I found them very similar.

I totally agree that having a support person there is vital.
    don't worry about it Lucy, i didn't provide much notice and everyone has busy lives, esp with kids, i am just grateful to be hearing all of your stories.

did you have the tests, 1st Amnio, then CVS?
    or did you have one per pregnancy so the timing is irrelevant?

I wonder if the difference in pain/aftereffects might be that i didn't have a general anathetic for the amnio test whereas, if i read your amnio account correctly, you did.

I was not offered a general anathestic, not having had one before, i didn't know whether that was part of it or not. Once i read your account, it made me think "Why wasn't i given or at least offered a general anathestic?"

It's very early Friday morning, the test was 10am Wednesday morning, my stomach is still so sore. i keep not exactly bursting into tears, but weeping kind of overtakes me. Quiet weeping cos crying hurts my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Babies 3
    I'm also a bit confused. Why have they told you that if the amnio results are positive for Downs that you need to follow up with a CVS. The amnio results are pretty conclusive and CVS is usually only ever done between 10-13 weeks. I am just curious.
    Hi Debbie and Gigi

I'm really hoping Gigi's baby is going to be OK and have read this thread with interest - partly due to having studied this, but not had much IRL awareness of it, but mostly because I want to be able to offer any support I can, even if it is just explaining a bit of science!

If the Amnio results are positive for Downs that may mean that the baby has Downs, or it may mean that the Amniotic fluid is a Downs fluid - sometimes a little fertilised egg can be fertilised as a Downs egg (3 C21s), but get its act together pretty quickly and kick out a spare chromosome in the early splits. I really think these bubs are so clever! However, there is part of the blastocyte that is Downs, and part that is not. Usually the "not Downs" part forms the baby and the Downs part forms part of the placenta and all of the amniotic fluid.

So if the Amino shows Downs, the CVS testing the placenta will either show Downs, not Downs, or Mosaic Downs. Mosaic Downs means the baby will have less severe Downs - if baby has Downs at all - but no Downs means the baby is fine. If the placenta is Downs then there is a good chance the baby has full-blown Down's Syndrome.

Finally, FISH - this always looked so cute in my lectures. Basically there's a C21 dye, a Y dye and an X dye (amongst others), these are popped into the cell and attach themselves to the chromosomes during a cell split, so when the sample is put under a flursecent microscope you can see all the chromosomes you're looking for. It really is clear and something great visually - if you can get these results as part of the baby/pregnancy book I'd recommend it, keep them with the baby's scans as a fantastic record. I always did more PCR than FISH - PCR is more quantitative, FISH more visual counting-to-two (or one for Y, or 3 for trisomies).

Gigi, I am really, really hoping the amnio shows no Downs. Wishing you all the best.

Gigi, I had the amnio with my pregnancy with my son Charlie who is now a very healthy 10 months, and I wasn't offered a general anesthetic but a local anesthetic.

The CVS I had recently is for my current pregnancy.

You sound like you are in a fair amount of pain still.......can you get to your Dr/midwife to they can have a look/give you some reassurance?

Gi gi,

I have you in my thoughts, I agree with Lucy, that you should let them know how your feeling...
    I would expect the uncertainty is causing your emotions to run riot, understandably!!!
    I think your doing really well, being brave & keep positive!!!
    I am sure bubs will be fine!!!!

Thanks RynFrog I thought it may have something to do with mosaics, and yes that all makes sense to me - thankyou! You are a handy little scientific brain to have on board! I love it!

Gigi you don't have a general anaesthetic for an amnio. Some practitioners will use a local anaesthetic before they make the fluid extraction and others don't. I had the local with my first amnio and not with my second. I didn't find the second any more uncomfortable. The local being injected is uncomfortable and stingy it was better just to have one jab and have it all over. Certainly general anaesthetics are not given for this procedure. The soreness you are experiencing is very normal and can last a few days. I had it with both of mine. The important things to keep an eye on are any fluid leaking, blood loss cramping that gets worse and your temperature. I would strongly suggest you contact your doctors rooms and explain how you are feeling. This is important for them to be aware of how you are and for your own reassurance.
    Hugs to you.

Thanks RynFrog. So well explained and I now totally understand.

Gigi, I hope you are starting to feel better. I sympathise and wish I could be there to hold your hand. If the pain persists make sure you see your GP or a midwife. Look after yourself. I know the next two weeks will be hell. Waiting is for things like that is never good. Don't forget we are all here for you and don't be afraid to vent your heart out if it helps pass the time.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild

Some practitioners will use a local anaesthetic before they make the fluid extraction and others don't. I had the local with my first amnio and not with my second. I didn't find the second any more uncomfortable. The local being injected is uncomfortable and stingy it was better just to have one jab and have it all over. The soreness you are experiencing is very normal and can last a few days. I had it with both of mine. The important things to keep an eye on are any fluid leaking, blood loss cramping that gets worse and your temperature. I would strongly suggest you contact your doctors rooms and explain how you are feeling. This is important for them to be aware of how you are and for your own reassurance.
    Hugs to you.
    Thanks Flowerchild.
    I put down GENERAL when i meant to type LOCAL - my bad.
    I didn't have a local anaethetic with the amnio. It wasn't discussed beforehand. Just before the obstret. was about to do the test, he said to me "Usually we give two sticks (his word for injection) but i think it's just as easy to give you only one stick, ok?" - lying on the bed, exposed and belly covered in antiseptic, my brain just went to mush, and just weakly said ok - i didn't know really what the ramifications of what he was saying meant. I felt so anxious and i just wanted to get on with it and not keep the three medical staff waiting.

The most uncomfortable part of the amnio test was the needle being moved around. I assumed it would just go DOWN into the stomach, i had no idea it would be moved HORIZONTALLY around - that was excruciating.

Flowerchild, it is a relief to know the sore stomach is normal - i didn't know. I hadn't contacted medical help cos i haven't been leaking or getting a temp, or any of the signs i would suspect might indicate miscarriage possibility.

At Preg. Yoga class yesterday, in front of a physio and 30 very preg. women i didn't know (!!!), when it came my turn for the weekly roundup (how many weeks are you, how are you physically?) - i lost it completely, went from being fine to sobbing in one second. Everyone was very understanding but none had gone thru amnio. The women either side of me thought i was being ill, (cos i tried so hard to stiffle the sobs and NOT cry at the start) such funny sounds come out of you when you try not to cry (I discovered). it just took over - in spite of me not wanting so much not to lose it.

Thank you ALL for your messages of support, angel, rynfrog, lucy, barley1 and flowerchild.

Gigi are you out there????
    I woke up in the middle of the night thinking of you.
    Please let us know.
    Lots and lots of love and hugs,

Add Gigi on Facebook

dear Flowerchild,

oh hon, i don't mean to rob you of your sleep!

so sorry, i posted my news as soon as we found out, on two threads on this forum - knew there was one more i should put the news on (this one) but have been so busy (moving house) -

anyway

short news is
    100% WONDERFUL AND FINE - NO ABNORMALITIES DETECTED!!!!
    and i spied a XX on the test result, so we are having a little girl.

it is so amazing to me, i feel rather alone with this whole preg. thing in real life, but i get online, and total strangers far away in geography, are so lovely, willing to share their own experiences and sympathetic to my beginner questions. And i find myself getting caught up in other people's lives too, one women i met online is going to be induced tomorrow, don't know her from Adam, yet she is on my mind, and i am wishing her all the best, getting excited for her. Talk about clucky!!!

Oh My!!!!
    I am so so so happy for you Gigi, and for your baby.
    What an absolute relief this news must be!!!
    Now, you just go forward and gestate happily, okay???!!!!!
    Your news has made my day.
    Big big hugs

Oh, Gigi, congratulations to you and your little girl! That's fantastic news!

So thrilled for you.

Add Gigi on Facebook

thanks so much Flowerchild and Ryn-Frog - i am really touched by your words.

Gigi,

I am so, so thrilled for you that all is perfect with your little Princess...
    Congratulations on expecting a beautiful little Miss!
    Now you can rest, relax & enjoy your pregnancy!!!!

Hugs to you!

Gigi,
    What wonderful news. Now go enjoy your pregnancy girl.
    Hugs
    Debbie

Add Gigi on Facebook

thanks so much barley1 and angelbabies - you're right, now i CAN enjoy being pregnant! and vindicated that i wasn't an idiot to keep buying baby gear the last few weeks.

I had my 19 wk scan on Wednesday, and bub in every measurement, was in the average/normal range. It's going to be ok!!

Gigi - I was offline when you first began posting but have caught up on this thread recently. It is such wonderful news that you are having a little girl and that everything is great. These tests are always scary to contemplate, let alone actually do and it's been wonderful to hear such a good news story out of this experience. I hope the rest of your pg is an utter joy.

Mel

Gigi

I have been thinking of you also! I haven't had time to post lately but I'm so glad that everything turned out well for you!!

Congrats on expecting a girl as well!!

Add Gigi on Facebook

thanks Melbo and Lea - of course you haven't had time to post, what with a new little bub n all! thanks for your kind words. I hope i will be in "your shoes" in a few months time with a dear little bub of my own!

Little Em's eyes are amazing! cluck cluck cluck

Happy for you that IVF worked Melbo, that's so special.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast