Thread: annoyed with second hand smoking

Default annoyed with second hand smoking

I was at a party last night and having a good time until...

some inconsiderate guy started smoking a joint on the verandah. Now I'm concerned that it may have been bad for my baby. I was inside and the person was outside so I know that its unlikely. What do you think? I'm 24 weeks.

Its annoying that someone would smoke something dangerous around someone who is obviously pregnant. I've been trying so hard to keep my body healthy- having no caffeine, or alcohol and eating well etc..

Anyway, I'll try not to worry too much as I know thats bad for my beautiful baby.

Hi Emma,

I'm pretty sure a bit of second hand smoke will not hurt your baby. If you were around a heavy smoker every day and breathing it in, or if you felt the effects of the joint yourself, well then I wouldn't be happy either.

Quite frankly I reckon it's kind of the same as being in the smoggy city for a bit, or trying to light the stove and being able to smell the gas. For a one-off I don't think you need to be worried.

Hey Emma,

It's even worse when ppl light up upwind from a baby in a pram. Don't people realise that passive smoking can contribut to breast cancer - one of the biggest killers of women these days! I have never been a smoker and don't want to be but surely people can respect my choice and avoid blowing smoke on no smokers. especially when the smokers decide to sit on the most upwind seat when the downwind ones are available.

Sorry needed to vent on the same subject as was already here.

I am finding myself holding my breath whenever I smell the smoke and I glare at epople who light up now that I finally look pregant it is disgusting. I sometimes wish I had the guts to tell them off.

As for a joint I am sure you are ok, but that is even worse!