Thread: Antibiotics???

Default Antibiotics???

Hi

After bad bouts of hayfever I normally get a sinus infection which feels like a major toothache.
    I then live on Nurofen and take antibiotics for a couple of days.
    Does anyone know if you can take antibiotics during pg? I am dreading the fact that I think I have a sinus infection coming on and I won't be able to take anything for it.
    Any info would be great.

Thanks

Julia

Hi Julia,
    I had a really bad infected tooth while I was pregnant... I think i was in the 2nd tri but I went on the amoxylin for a week to get rid of the infection in my tooth... I ALWAYS get really bad sinitus infections too but I was lucky enough to not get ANY while I was preg.. it was just that manky tooth.
    So yeah the doc told me and prescribed for me the amoxylin, they are ok during preg.... My little man was born long and strong as an ox so they didnt harm him in any way

Good luck mate and I really hope you feel better... I so know how you feel and it sucks!!

xoxoxox

And just check with your doc but I dont think that you can take nurefon while pregnant.... because it targets swelling it can target the baby by accident... again just check with your doc.. but she did tell me that I could have panadine and panadol... its not quiet the same but it still knocks the edge off it

Thanks heaps Kirstie, am relieved to know that there is a safe antibiotic.
    I have really missed not being able to take nurofen during pg, Panadol is OK but not the same.
    Thanks for your info.

Julia

I am really glad I could help you in some way
    I know what you mean about not being able to take the stuff you usually do!.. I stopped Breast feeding and got a bit of mastitis so I jumped on the nuerfon plus!!! HOOOLLEEY DOOOLEYY!! they knocked me for a six!! he he he.... then the dreaded sinitus came back so I strode into the chemist and happily purchased myself some sudafed..... I could breath like never before and was buzzing for about 8 hours!! he he he

Hope you feel better Julia

Hey Julia,

Your doctor won't prescribe anything that can't be taken during pg so try not to worry.

I have hayfever too. Just wondering if you have heard of nasal irrigation (either FESS or Neilmed). All it basically is is sachets of saline and xylitol which you put into a bottle with warm water then flush out your sinuses. I've found it clears everything right up and you are less likely to get an infection if you do this process at least once a day.

It is safe to use during pg because it is basically just salty water. If you are interested, check in your pharmacy.

Kind regards,

Mel

My goodness Mel, that sounds soooo good. Think I will have to give that a try.
    Thanks heaps

Julia

Hi Julia,

like the others have said, AB's are fine in PG (they will prescribe the safe ones). I've had two courses during my PG (a very stubborn tooth). Neurofen is a definate no no in pregnancy but, like you already know, you can take panadol. There is also another panadol type thing with more pain relief in it (15mg or something) you can take. I can't remember which one it is though but if you ask the pharmacist (and make sure it is the pharmacist that gives the answer) they will tell you. I remember being totally frustrated that panadol wasn't working after I had a tooth extraction and sent DH to the chemist to get "the strongest thing I'm allowed!" LOL.

For your hayfever, there is a medication you can take to help with some of the symptoms. I actually found it better than anything else I have ever taken. It is totally safe (I checked with 3 pharmacists and my Ob). The only down side is that it can make you drowsy. It's called Polaramine.

HTH and hope it isn't a sinus infection!

MG

Most AB's are ok in pregnancy
    Nurofen should not be taken
    MG
    I think you are talking about panadine or panadine forte both are ok in pregnancy