Thread: Any low lying placentas out there? (placenta previa)

Default Any low lying placentas out there? (placenta previa)

Just saw my doctor and apparently my 20 week ultra sound detected a low lying placenta. I am now 22 weeks but fundal is measuring at 26 weeks (prob because of position of the placenta).

Anyways doctor says it isn't anything to worry about at this stage, as in most cases it corrects itself and the placenta ends up in a better position. Am having another ultrasound at 32 weeks to determine if this has happened or not, or whether I then have 'placenta previa'. Then I guess it bed rest and a C section or something like that.

Just wondering if anyone else in their second trimester has been diagnosed with a low lying placenta, and if it worked itself out or not later in the pregnancy? Anyone heard of this before?

Cheers!

oh that is so good to hear!!!!! my doctor wouldn't go into a lot of detail, did mention bleeding, but didnt want to scare me unnecessarily, so i have gone and scared myself by researching it on the internet, haha!!

good to hear your case went well, gives me hope mine will too.

I found out the same thing last Friday Emma, so am in the same boat as you. My placenta was pretty much directly in line with the edge of my cervix, not covering, but very close.

My OB also told me that it will probably move upwards as I get further along, and not to worry about it at this stage.

I'm definitely hoping it does correct iteself, as I have my heart set on a natural birth and don't want to end up having a caesarian if I don't have to.

Mine was close too and I was told that I would have another scan at 32 weeks (yay another look at bub ) They also said that in 99% of cases it moves up so I wouldn't worry too much. I think it is more a concern when it is totally covering the cervix and more to the front. From what your Dr said Emma I would say you will be fine matey

19w I was told that I may have this; my placenta was low, but they weren't sure if it was prevaria or not. 22w we were just in the clear (like Cherie) and 29w definately not prevaria. Although I was just told "healthy" and saw it for three seconds, but it was a lot higher up than before.

chelleg Guest

In most instances the placenta will move up as the lower segment of the uterus begins to form thus meaning that most women are fine to continue on with vaginal births and reduced risk of bleeding

HI,
    With my DS i had low lying placenta. It did move up and i had a natural birth. With this pregnancy i also have a LLP, it is supposed to be 3cms off your cervix, mine is only 2.5cms so yipee i get to have another peek at bubs soon! Although they did say that it will probably move up as its only .5 of a cm off i still get that u/s!
    Hope that helps...

When I was pg with Noah I was found to have PP. I was told that I would need to have a scan at 32 weeks too. Of course then Noah decided that he would be breach, they did a repeat scan at 34 weeks, placenta was clear for a vaginal birth but norti Noah did not turn so I ended up with a c section after all.

Default Anterior Low Lying Placenta????

Hi,

Just found our from my ob that I have a low lying placenta. I have read a little of other people's posts here and feel better but can I also ask if anyone has had an Anterior Low Lying Placenta - reason being my ob told me that it complicates things a little as if it doesn't move up by the time I go into labour, I am also unable to have a C-Section because the placenta is right where they would cut to access bub and they can't cut through the placenta obviously.

So does anyone know what happens in these rare cases??

I know I shouldn't worry myself at this early stage.....but it is difficult to not!!

becmc Guest

I had a low lying placenta with ds at 20 weeks, and then at the 34 week scan it had moved. It usually does move, and even if it doesn't there are different grades of placenta praevia, not all of them mean you have to have a c/s. If it doesn't move definately get a 2nd opinion if c/s is recommended, that isn't always the only option.

In a cute country cottage in the south west of WA

I had it with my last pregnancy, and unfortunately it didnt fix itself, but it tried! Ended up only having a few big veins (or whatever) of placenta just about reaching the cervix, so enough to be a pain and need a c-section.

My doctor was very vague about it too, he wasnt worried until i was 33 weeks and told him i lived 4 hours away from the hospital and that i was coming to perth to stay from 36 weeks onwards. He then told me i was at high risk of hemoraging so i needed to keep my butt in perth.

I'm anxiously waiting my 20 week ultrasound this time around! I'm praying its not low, i havent had any spotting so i'm hoping its a good sign. I'm hoping i can have a VBAC.

Good luck

Can someone on this thread please explain for me what increased monitoring means if someone has been diagnosed as placenta prevaria at her 19 week scan. One of my GFs has just been advised that she has placenta prevaria (@ 19 weeks) it is apparently currently over her cervix and she is freaking out a bit. I had low lying placenta with my DS but wasn't over cervix like hers but mine moved upwards so I know they can move. From memory I had to have an extra scan which i assume she will to. What happens if it hasn't moved at that stage. Will it mean bed rest or just watching or what happens from here. Her OB has said unless something changes dramatically that she will have to have a CS (which she is okay with if that is what is required).

Thanks all

I was found to have a low lying placenta at my 20wk scan, & had another scan at 34 wks at which point it had moved up out of the way, so on track for a natural birth (FX). Try not to worry too much till your next scan...