thread: B12 Injections during pregnancy?

Jan 2008
    New Zealand

Question B12 Injections during pregnancy?

Hi,

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had to have B12 Injections during pregnancy and be reasured that they are safe.

I have had them in the past (while not pregnant) and when they did my BT to confirm pregnancy (18 dec) they noticed my levels were at 158pmol/L (what ever that means) and commented that they would need to keep an eye on them as they were on the low side. I had another BT on the 24th of April and they have dropped to 125pmol/L.
    My nurse said that normal level sholud be 300 and something.

My Dr said at first it wasn't safe to have the injections whilst pregnant but then rang the hospital and was told that there was more risk to me and the baby to have low B12 than to have the injections... not very reasuring. So I had an injection yesterday but am abit nervous and wondered if anyone else had had them and did everything work out ok?

Any information or advice would be appreciated,
    Cheers Missy

Feb 2009

I have seen an extreme B12 deficiency first hand and its utterly devistating. My Nan will never be the same person again - it simply took too long for any doctor to believe us there was something seriously wrong. You can't afford to let it get too far.

I use a Multi-b suppliment to help combat the hyperemesis - it contains B12 and I have had no problems. B12 is a vital vitamin, including for babies. Further, if you want to bf, then you need the b12. There is a study on two babies who were seriously neurologically damaged by a b12 deficiency that they ended up getting from their deficient vegan mums as it was not available in the breastmilk. Very scary stuff.

Also there is the fact that b12 helps your body better absorb folate - which is vital for baby.

Can you switch to a suppliment or b12 fortified foods? Its normally given as a shot for low because it is very difficult for the body to absorb b12 in the gastro/intestinal tract - but if you tried foods, suppliments and fortifieds together, it might help offset any decrease. Just make sure its being monitored to help.

It has to be worth a try because I have to agree - the damageto you and baby from low b12 is a serious risk.

Jan 2008
    New Zealand

Thanks so much for the reply.
    I asked about taking supplements but they said I would'nt absorb enough by taking anything orally either food wise or pills and that I needed injections.
    Thanks for letting me know that I've done the right thing in having the injection, it's so hard being guided by a Dr who first says one thing and then another she doesn't instill much confidence in me for her abilites.
    Cheers Missy

Add krysalyss on Facebook

Feb 2007
    on the move.....

Hey Missya - Most pregnancy supplements contain B12 and unless you have a disorder that plus an adequate diet should really be enough. I know some people have trouble absorbing though so maybe you have a previous history?
    As for your dr. It is good that she went to ask the hospital for clarification. It is worse when they assume everything they say and know is right.
    Good luck with your pregnancy journey.

Feb 2009

Understandable Missy. Its not the easiest vitamin in the world to absorb - and gets harder to absorb the older we get. My nan ended up with hers because she was also diabetic, so her strict diet plus low absorption simply meant she was not getting anymore. When it was finally diagnosed she had lost practically every recent memory. She was paranoid and combative - everything we did to help was met with venom and mistrust. Unfortunately the shots only slightly helped the symptoms. She still sufferes from some paranoia - and she doesn't really remember any of her great grand kids. She has also forgotten a couple of the grandkids - one she used to take to school every day for mum who was working. Nothing stays in memory for more than a few minutes. You can have the same conversation over and over again in a short visit. Its so horrible and sad because otherwise, she was one of the healthiest and strongest independant women I knew.

Its all been stolen from her because b12 deficiencies are just not widely trained for. It took years to find a doctor to help us.

I wouldn't want to see anyone - or their families - go through this. I am not a vegetarian or the like, but whenever I speak to one I always encourage they eat the fortifieds or have suppliments. Its just not worth the risk. Ever. Its horrible to watch someone you love literally deteriorate before your eyes. The symptoms in babies are even worse and just as irreversable. I would feel completely justified in protecting my baby with that injection. I hope you do too.

Jan 2006
    Sydney

I was in a very similar situation to you. I was having B12 injections regularly before I fell pg with ds1, a blood test showed my level to be 67, even though I was taking the pregnancy multivitamin containing it, my body still doesn't absorb it unless I have the injections, this in a condition called pernicious anaemia.

When I fell pregnant with ds1 my gp said to not have the injections whilst I was pregnant so I didn't, once ds1 arrived and the paediatrician did his checkup in the hospital one the of the things he asked me was if I had anaemia and when I mentioned pernicious anaemia he had my levels checked and they turned out to be about 160, so low, he said that it was very important to keep my B12 levels up with the injections as I was obviously not absorbing it orally (was taking multivitamins, and I'm not vegetarian) and that it was perfectly fine for future pregnancies to continue with the injections and that it would be worse for them to be too low.

So when I was pregnant with ds2 I continued to have the B12 injections every 3 months (so had 3 over the pregnancy), I checked with my obs as well and he said that it was fine to have them. DS2 is a happy and healthy 6 and a half month old baby now and I feel much better when I keep the injections up, if I don't have them I tend to get tired and feel run down.

Good luck I hope everything works out for you.