Thread: Baby with club feet

Default Baby with club feet

We had our 20 week u/s today and found out that our bub has club feet. Everything else apart from that is normal and fine, so it's apparently not related to anything chromosomal, (which is supposed to be good), but we are feeling quite down about it still. Has anyone had a bub with this who can give us some advice?

I know 2 people who have had kids with club feet. One was in my ANC, and she had found out from the scan. Her little girl ended up being in plaster from the surgery for a while (at about 3m old I spose??), but had an excellent prognosis. The parents weren't too worried about it.
    The other girl is a 13yo in my netball club. She is a great little netballer, you would never know although her mother has lamented to me about the price of her orthotics that she gets specially made every year.
    While I sympathise with how you must be feeling, I really believe this is one of the irregularities that are picked up the 19w scan that is getting easier and easier to manage.
    I'm sure your drs have reassured you that with maybe a couple of procedures your baby will be really good, so I hope these good stories cheer you up some.

Thanks for your replies. We have been told the prognosis should be okay, but it was just such a shock! It's not at all what you expect to hear when you go for an ultrasound. It helps a lot to hear other's experiences.

Colleen Guest

I was born with club feet, feel free to add me to msn if you want to chat about it. [email protected]

Theres so much I could type but in a slight hurry right now.

Babies these days have such a great chance when born with club feet, I was born 24 years ago with one of the worst cases seen at the hospital and i walk perfectly (well i like to think so hehe)

The non-chromosomal thing sounds very good (that means it's non-inheritable for your future children/grandchildren); there's also a chance the scan is incorrect or this could correct itself. Otherwise, foot operations aren't as painful as other people tell you they are and feet can be corrected at a younger and younger age these days.

Colleen Guest

yep! i had my operations not long after birth, I had plaster casts for a little while but i certainly dont remember, although any relative who had to carry me reminds me! lol

these days the techniques to correct club feet are far more advanced and so id say the process is more recovery friendly.

My dads brother had club feet, its the only other member in my family to have it. The first thing i asked at my ultrasound was for them to check jaykobs feet.