Thread: Baby too small?? Worried!

Jinx246 Guest

Default Baby too small?? Worried!

Hi All,

I am new to this site and just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience:

I am 19 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 and last week I went for my 2nd scan (I was 18 weeks and 4 days). The scan results said that I was only 17 weeks and 1 day - that's 10 days difference! I know that my dates are correct and now I'm concerned that something is wrong. I go back for another scan next week but I just can't stop worrying. My first baby was always bigger than my dates and was born a very health 9lb 4oz.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jinx246,

I don't really have any advice or info for you but just wanted to welcome you to bellybelly. I do hope everything is fine with your bub and the next scan shows that. Try not to worry(easier said than done i know).

I do however know that ultrasounds can be 5 days out on the EDD, if that helps you any.

Goodluck and take care,

Hi There

My babies were always measuring small for their dates, one was born 6lb and the other 6lb 7oz. In the big scale of it all there probably isn't much to worry about as babies do a lot of growing in their last few weeks. There is also a chance the the sonographer might have been slightly off with measurements. Just 1mm can make all the difference.

Love

Ditto what Kathryn says!!

My first bub was 8lb and second 6lb 7oz.

Will be interesting to see what this new addition will be (hopefully small!!).

Best wishes and have a great pregnancy

Seeya

Not sure if this is of any relevance, but I have been told that the ultrasound at that point is less reliable for forming a due date as it is difficult to measure the baby from end to end at that point.

When I had my 19 week ultrasound done last week, the ultrasonographer said she will stick with the original EDD, despite her estimation being an earlier due date.

colleeg Guest

Jinx246,
    i too have been for a few scans that have been out, almost a week, now just remeber its a guide and if you know your due date from your last mensural cycle then i wouldnt worry.

Here is what they told me& my husband while doing the scan-
    in the 1st trimester they give you a couple of days either side of the timing, in the second trimester its a week either side and in the third three weeks so if you are like me im in the 2nd trimester and i was 4 days behind but all bubs are going to grow at differnt rates, the main thing is they are checking for devleopment of the heart, brain & organs normally done around 18-19 weeks.

so Just relax and let the little miricle grow.
    Hope this helps
    colleeg O

Hi Jinx246

Welcome to BB and Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Getting EDD via untrasounds are at their most accurate when your under 12 weeks of age as all babies grow at the same rate up to 12 weeks after this they grow at different rates therefore giving you varying dates for your EDD`s. I wouldn`t worry about it too much but if it is causing you a lot of stress please go to your Dr and discuss it with them.

Kind Regards

Deeanne

Welcome to BellyBelly, Jinx246!

As the other girls have already said, scans after the 1st tri aren't very accurate for dating purposes. The main thing is that bubs is growing well. I'm sure your doc would have mentioned it if there had been anything of concern, so I'm sure everything will be fine with your little one.

Good luck for your scan next week! Let us know how it goes!

Welcome Jinx...I'm going to have to agree with all the other girls - scans for dating purposes in second tri are not particularly accurate. My sonographer explained to me that the dates that the machine automoatically calculates are based on 'averages' - and there is a certain amount of leeway either side of the 'smack-bang-in-the-middle-average' that is considered normal. The difference in size among individual babies increase as their gestational age increases.

Keep us posted!

Cheers

Juliette

I was given 3 different EDD with my second & there was a 2 week difference between them. Glenn was born closer to my original EDD off my cycle but still about 4 days over.

My first was on time but I was about 3 weeks behind in size & was sent for 2 growth scans, one at 30 weeks & then again at 34. I was told I have a small baby & that I would have to be induced on my due date to get him out. Labour happened (well started) on its own the day I was due to go in for a check up & I gave birth to a 7pd 8 baby. Not massive but not small either. So I wouldn't worry to much either like everyone is saying.