thread: Back pain relief?

Jul 2008
    Brisbane

Unhappy Back pain relief?

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me what they did to relieve pregnancy back pain. I already have an arthritic condition in my lower back, but the pain I have had over the past couple of days is far more severe and it feels quite different to the pain I usually experience due to ongoing inflammation.

I am already seeing an osteopath, but she is limited in terms of what she can do because of the arthritis (likewise with a chiro). I am seeing my acupuncturist this morning and am hoping that he can weave a little magic. So I think I have all my bases covered from a professional treatment perspective.

I am looking for suggestions as to what I can do myself:
    1. Those of you that have experienced similar back issues, did you use heat or cold packs? Was heat of cold more effective?
    2. Do you know of a cream or liniment that is effective and safe in pregnancy?
    3. Is there any point in going to see my GP about it?

Thanks so much

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

A belly belt might help. It may take some of the weight off your back. I found heat packs helped a bit.

Nov 2005
    Ontario, Canada

I've heard that alternating the heat and cold is good - the heat relaxes the muscles, and then the cold relieves the inflammation. Not sure how scientific that is, but I don't think you'll harm anything either way, so long as you don't keep either one on for more than 10-15 min at a time.
    Ummmm.... Other than that, you probably know the usual drill - good posture when sitting/standing... sleep with a pillow between your knees...belly belt might be a good idea... hmmm, what else.... I think doing some gentle stretches where you are on your hands and knees and then arch your back up, and then relax (don't droop, just relax) can help somewhat.

Hope you get some relief soon, hon!

Nov 2008
    Perth

I feel for you hon. I slipped a disc in my lower back several years ago now and it started giving me grief at about 16 weeks. I find that a warm bath (take a book and really relax!) and a heat pack afterwards makes all the difference. When it's been really bad, I've seen my physio and he gives me a really good rub for about 45 minutes. Make sure you're wearing really supportive shoes too. I love flip-flops but they are so bad for my back (I have flat feet as well) so I really need to wear shoes with a very small heel or my runners, which have plenty of arch and heel support.

Besides Panadol, I don't think you can do much for it. I really hope my tips help a little

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Ahh Sam that doesn't sound like fun. Do you have any heat bags? I can do a delivery for you if you need, Linda lent me a great one.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2008

I have an RSI in my lower back from lifting babies incorrectly ... 8 months of constant backpain though it is slowly improving, it is just taking it's time. Now that I am 18 weeks pg I find it is under a bit more stress so I am trying to take good care of it ...

I use one of those wheat heat packs on my back every morning for 10 mins before I start moving - usually while I eat breakfast. I find it relaxes all my muscles and warms them up so by the time I start moving it doesn't cause me heaps of pain.

The other things I do are just general back care - yoga excercises for strengthening the muscles, lifting things correctly, sitting in chairs with correct posture, not lifting things unless i have to - all that common sense stuff.

Recently my doctor recommended that I try a TENS machine (like the ones you can use in labour for pain relief) to see if that helps. I was talking about it with mum and she said that when she had something similar to my back pain they physio gave her a couple of sessions with the TENS machine so I am going to get one of those in the next couple of weeks and give it a go.

I realise my back pain is probably more muscalar and yours is to do with your bones and joints, but hopefully something there might be helpful.

I hope you get some relief soon

Jul 2008
    Brisbane

Thank you all so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it I have just returned from my acupuncturist and my situation is, unfortunately, not much better Perhaps it will take some time to see some improvement...

bjrose - Thanks, so much - I hadn't even thought of a belly belt. I will definitely have a chat to my osteo about whether it will help (with the arthritis, the worst thing is restricting movement to much as I am sure you know) because I do feel like some extra support and help to maintain good posture could be what I need.

Cricket - I have bought a maternity pillow for between my legs and for under my belly, but for some reason I find it so restrictive to sleep with. I think I wriggle and move so much at night that I tend to find it at the foot of the bed whenever I wake up! Perhaps I will just try a small pillow between my knees. Thanks for the tip.

Taurean - so sorry to hear about your slipped disc. I had one when I was a kid and I couldn't move! So much sympathy from me, darl I am also a flip flop junkie and today I decided that trainers would be worth a try. I am also trying to not go barefoot. Hopefully the extra cushioning will help. Thanks so much and I hope your back doesn't give you too much grief going forward.

oscaroscar - fortunately I already have a heating beanbag so not to worry, but thank you so much for the kind offer of popping around.

Townsvillegirl - Sorry to hear how you have had such ongoing back issues. I am trying not to think about how my back is going to handle lifting and carrying bubs when he arrives. I suppose at least then I will have the option to treat it medically if the need arises. I think I may definitely look at going to physio for a good rub down as Taurean suggested and perhaps I can give the TENS machine a go then (I am familiar with it and know how wonderful it is for encouraging blood circulation in stiff muscles).

Thanks again, ladies xx
    Last edited by Life is Good; April 28th, 2009 at 01:42 PM.

Nov 2008
    Perth

You're most welcome Sambo