Thread: Bleeding Gums

Default Bleeding Gums

Does/ Has anyone else have bleeding gums when pregnant??
    I have only just noticed this when I was eating toast and I cant taste it I just saw it on the breadbut it didn't happen to me when preg with DD.
    I was wondering if its normal or if I should be really concerned

Yep happened to me alot, most often when brushing my teeth. I think I've read around these parts that it's called pregnancy gingivitus, but don't quote me on it! My Ob said if it got too bad just to brush with a kids toothbrush, but I never worried too much after I knew it wasn't uncommon.

ah ok thats good to know I will keep an eye on it and mention it to my OB next week

Totally normal...mine is atrocious Can't eat an apple - have to cut it into tiny pieces or I just bleed all over it, brushing teeth just leads to a mouth fill of blood lol
    Happened last pregnancy too.

I am very glad I am not alone I was a bit worried this morning when I saw blood on my toast

Default Bleeding gums

Hi, it is a common condition during pregnancy due to extra blood flow to body. It means that you need to brush and floss your teeth more often, which i am hating at the moment as it feels awful, i usually love brushing my teeth!! It should settle once you have your bub, but it is a must that you see your dentist at least once during pregnancy for a check and especially a clean to help reduce the amount of plaque build up on your teeth as this will help with bleeding gums... I'm about to go for my check and clean....boo!! Ps it is recommended that pregnant women do not have x rays during pregnancy.. Good luck with bub!!

Thanks I told my OB at the hospital on friday and she told me to used mouth wash but all the research I have done says mouthwash it NOT good for pregnant women to use so I wont do that. I am brushing and being careful and at some point will get to the dentist

Mine would just bleed when i brushed my teeth then right at the end they would bleed whenever i ate anything. I was in the mall eating my lunch and DP told me i was bleeding, my whole mouth was bleeding it was so embarassing people were staring...

What Love.tillie said. Totally normal.

Hi Kat, it is not really necessary for anyone to use mouth wash, it really only freshens, your breath. If you do use mouth wash make sure it is alcohol free as the alcohol can irritate the soft tissues in your mouth and further aggravate your gums. Really recommend flossing daily and brushing at least twice a day. And it is a fallacy that teeth are effected by pregnancy it is actually your gums that suffer during this time!! I've got 22 weeks til EDD! Other than teeth i hope you are feeling well!! )

Yeh asides from the gums I am generally well. I do brush twice a day but I refuse to use mouth wash with what I have read up on.
    I have about 20 weeks to go so I hope it doesn't get worse

Yes, has happened all 3 pregnancies of mine. Usually when brushing my teeth or eating an apple.

My bleeding gums stopped as soon as I started taking vitamin C 1000mg .. It can be a common cause of bleeding gums.
    Just dont take the chewable vitamin C tablets because most or all of them contain sodium saccharin as an artificial sweetener which is bad for you and baby