Thread: Brain ventricle

Default Brain ventricle

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    I have just received the results of my 22w scan, and everything is spot on except that they 'may' ahve seen a slighly enlarged left ventricle on the baby's brain. The Doctor explained it as a little bit of fluid...... but I am very cunfused. He said that the sonographers reccommend that the baby have a head scan within its first few weeks of life.
    He said its nothing to worry about at the moment. But I am so upset that there could be a major problem with my little one.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get some info? Or even anyone who has heard anything about this???
    I am desperate to find out as much as I can .
    I am absolutley devastated at the moment and any help would be grealty appreciated.
    Thanks

Sorry I can't help with information. I hate when they make you worry though. When my son was born they made me worry about the size of his head telling me it was a bit larger than "normal" and they had to keep an eye on it cos of something I can't remember what it was...turned out to be nothing at all!!

I hope that maybe someone can help you and help to put your mind at ease about your little bundle.

Hi Squishee
    Try not to worry hun, often this sort of thing resolves before birth. In around 90% of the time your baby will absorb the extra fluid and everything will be normal. On other occasions the stenographer has made a mistake. And occasionally the baby may need treatment after birth

Thanks Alan,
    Visited my GP today for a better explination. He thinks it will clear up on its own. Noone is really worried at all about it. Bubs has gone through a big growth spurt over the last few weeks, so maybe it was linked??
    I'm having more scan from 28 weeks. Hoping to find out gender then as they wouldnt tell me at last scan. Also hoping that they can have another look at the ventricle and make sure all is well.
    My mum spoke to a maternal nurse today, adn the nurse told her that it seems to be getting diagnosed more and more these days. Apparently in 3-5% of all pregnancies? My GP also backed this up.
    I am way more relaxed about it all now and looking forward to the rest of my pregnancy being relatively drama free!!
    Thanks
    Nicky