Thread: Braxton Hicks

Default Braxton Hicks

Is it normal to get braxton hicks at 21 weeks in the 2nd pregnancy? I seem to be getting them once or twice a day and they are a bit ouchie. I had them from about 29-30 weeks with Lily and they were nearly as bad as labour sometimes.

Hi Tegan, I started getting braxton hicks with my second pregnancy earlier than with my first. So far I am still happily preg despite them incresing in frequency and pain. I read only yesterday that braxton hicks are likely to be more painful in second and subsequent pregnancies. Have you tried a warm shower or siting down. All the best

Love

mizzsocial Guest

i began to get them around 20 weeks with my 2nd pregnancy.. apparently sometimes, when its your 2nd pregnancy you can have an irriated uterus, which causes you to feel them so early on..??

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I never had them with my first, but did with my second, only during the time we moved house and I was lifting boxes, I was about 6 months I think. Are you doing too much? Are you stressed? Maybe you need to relax more or it could just be your uterus getting ready. Second time mums can also find afterpains worse than the first as the uterus has to work harder to get back into shape.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks girls, seems to be normal then.

Kelly - im as relaxed as i can get. Not doing anything at all. So glad i don't have to left Lily anymore, she hates it anyway. But then again i'm planning a wedding which is only 12 weeks away!

Yep it's normal, I'm getting them. First pg they were just annoying not painful, but this time they are more intense but still annoying rather than painful IYKWIM. I asked my ob and he said it is normal, he also warned that the post birth contractions may be more painful too!

I actually never had after pains with Lily. Thanks for warning me about it!

Don't you think it strange all these "more painfuls", I would have thought number 2 would have been easier!!!

I had BH's starting from 16 weeks with all 4 of my bubbas. It's very normal.

Thanks for that comment Melly - I have been getting "tightenings" at night the last few weeks, and I thought it was a little early to be having them.
    I think with Jenna they started about 25 weeks, but 14 weeks is pretty early!!

My dr thinks I have an irritable uterus, so its just a bit more sensitive than normal.

Mine aren't painful at all, just tightenings at this stage, so hopefully they stay like that for another few months!!

Fi

I've been having them since about 20 weeks, sometimes they are very uncomfortable. I think it's normal second time around.

I`ve been getting BH`s since 20 weeks.

Tegan - The afterpains are awful, I got them with Matthew, a bit strange considering he was my first baby but they were there, not looking forward to them this time round again.

*TamaraP* Guest

My friend's wife has been getting them since 25 weeks. She is now overdue by nearly a week!!

I didn't get them with #1 and I am pretty sure I didn't with #2. I know I had a spout of pre labour ones about 3 days before I was in real labour. Is that still classed as BH? I haven't had any this time round yet either.