Thread: Braxton hicks

Default Braxton hicks

Just wondering what they feel like because I think I am having them. I get a really heavy feeling of pressure like someone or something has placed an enormous weight on my stomach - normally sort of high under my ribs which moves down to my pelvis area, and my stomach goes absolutely rock hard, is not painful, but is extremely uncomfortable.

I did read about them on the internet, and it said to contact dr. if you are having them more htan 4 times an hour, which I am not, but I still get them probably 5 times a day, and wondered if this is normal for only 22 weeks. My stomach is extremely large, I look fullterm (am not overweight, just huge baby belly) my uterus does measure very large but baby is still normal size. Could this be the reason for having them so often so soon? Does it mean I may have more chance of going early?

From what I understand about them Min they actually start at around 5-6 weeks but are usually felt sometime after the 20 week mark. I've read that its completely normal and you shouldn't be concerned unless you feel them more than 4 times an hour, they're painful or there's any bleeding/spotting. I dont think it means that bubs would be more likely to come early. I havent felt any yet but I suppose its only a matter of time! All the best with the rest of your pregnancy

Min
    It sounds like normal Braxton Hicks to me. You would need to contact yout DR, Midwife, Hospital if they become regular and about 15 minutes apart.

thanks guys, i guess i am just overreacting, not a single issue in PG with Jackson, and assumed it would be the same this time around, all this VBAC, anterior placenta, enlarged uterus etc. stuff is just stressing me out the smallest little bit

Min, I am getting them too, quite often thru the day. I didnt get them as early with DS. With his pregnancy tho, I was getting them every hour on the hour, for a whole night at around 34 weeks. But I didnt go into labour!

I get the exact same feeling and was told that yes it is braxton hicks.

Does anyone know why I should be contacting my midwife/ob if I get them more than 4 times in an hour?? Ive been getting them that often occasionally for weeks now, but have always just dismissed it?

Karina
    if you arte getting them 4 times an hour every hour (every 15 mins) then you are probably in labour

Fire Fly Guest

Ive had them twice with this pg just recently and i dont like it. Its feels yuk, reminds me to much of the start of labour im afraid. Not ready for that yet Lol.

I never got them with DD or DS but im getting them good with this one.

Hmm, anything happening over there Karina?!?!

Alan, do you think its strange to not have felt any BH's at 31 weeks?

Danni, I've got friends who have never got BHs! And one friend, in her third pg, felt them for the first time ever at 36 weeks, she was soooo excited LOL!

As far as I know, your uterus is always contracting, just not everyone feels it. I'm sure you feel it in labour though I wouldn't think it's strange not to have felt anything by now, they might start up for you over the next few weeks. But I will certainly be interested to hear what Alan has to say!

BTW, I can't believe you are 31 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did that time go? Congrats hun

thanks darling

Danni some people never feel them. Others only get them from 36 weeks

well im an idiot! I went to hospital tonight with severe Bh!!