Thread: Braxton Hicks painful and constant?

Default Braxton Hicks painful and constant?

Hello, had to come home from work today as I kept getting BH contrac. They were really strong and uncomfortable. I came home and lied down and they mostly went away but everytime I stand up and walk around they come back. My bump is actually sore from all the tightening. I rang my OB office but he is away and the lady just said to put my feet up and drink lots of water but how long should I let this go on for? I am really starting to get worried as they hurt sometimes like a regular contrax but then go away. Anyone else had this without problems? Any advice?

If they go away then they are most likely just Braxton Hicks. I know it can be disapointing when someone tells you that when you are so keen to have your little bub Braxton Hicks can be irritating and uncomfortable. Where is the pain coming from?? I see you have had a bub before. Are the pains anything like what you felt with him? Also how many weeks are you?

Sarah, seeing as you are 22 weeks I would definately call the hospital if they have continued for a few hours. Time them for a while & see if they follow a pattern. My BH's over the past 2 weeks have been really uncomfortable and I have had hot showers & they have settled, so maybe try some heat to help settle things down.

I am in no rush to have this baby! I'm only 22wks, I'm actually scared that these BH are doing something. Most of them are just tightening, moving from one side to the other. They are lasting maybe 30-45 sec although some are longer. Every so often though I get a bad one that feels like a real contrax, which is what bothers me. I just want them to go away.

Thanks Christy, I just got out of the shower and it helped immensely, it's the first time they have gone away al day. I think I will call the hospital if they start up again, I just feel so stupid

OH I didnt realise you were only 22 weeks....well then yes, I would definitely ring your hospital and tell them what you are experiencing. I thought you were almost due...sorry for that.

That's OK, I'm only getting little niggles now after a shower. I might see how it goes and call later this evening if they start up again. Thanks

just rang hospital as they have started up again and they said to take some panadol and go and lie down with feet up and call again if they don't go away so I'm off to bed. Thanks for your help

Hi,

I have experienced what you are experiencing at the moment.

They diagnosed me with an Irritable Uterus.

I have had IU in 3 out of my 5 babies.

I have had hours and hours of regular contractions and then suddenly they ease off and stop. Mine generally didnt stop with me having a hot shower though.

I thought i wasnt going to get it this pregnancy but 3 wks ago i suddenly started up at 4 min apart contractions, that moved to 2 mins apart 2 hours later. For 10 hours i contracted like this and then they got further and further apart, until i was only getting one every hour or two. Mine were contractions too, with me being to feel them build up, come on, peak and ease off every time.

This can happen quite a few times throughout the course of your pregnancy. When i first had it i would get it at least once a week and every time they told me to come in to the hospital and get checked out.

You really should go to the hospital to get checked out.

Good luck.
    Last edited by kristi14; November 3rd, 2006 at 10:11 PM.

Sarah ~ i too experienced this and i was also diagnosed with Irritable uterus from 14 weeks ( i was petrified ) Just ask the poor girls in Belly buddies group i was in i was in and out of hospital freaking out incase the so called BH contractions were doing something i had days were that all that was happening was contraction after contraction sometings 2 minutes apart lasting over a minute all i can suggest is if you get worried at all go to hospital get hooked up to a ctg to ease your mind and try to rest as much as humanly possible warm showers used to settle things for me sometimes my dh used to rub my back till i drifted off to sleep most of the time take care and try and get some rest

i had to add i had this every day from 14 weeks and kept getting told i wouldn't carry to term they were hoping to get me to 27- 32 weeks i had my son at 37 weeks after an induction for a completely unlated complication
    good luck
    Last edited by ~shazz~; November 4th, 2006 at 05:29 AM. Reason: added

I have been told I have an irritable uterus as well, and I get heaps and heaps of BH's as well. Not quite like yours sound - you need to let them know, and maybe go in for monitoring if they keep up like this?
    I think being dehydrated can make things worse too, and for me being too active gets me into trouble with BH's non stop.
    It could also be that you are starting to feel bubs moving around a bit more, and maybe he/she is lying transverse sometimes which is a bit more uncomfy too (stretching the sides).
    Liek they have said - drink plenty of water and sit with your feet up. Have a hot shower and call them if they keep up like this

I have also been having terrible BH and i just thought it was because i was doing too much. So now i just relax and have a hot shower and put my feet up with a nice hot milo, and wait them out. If they change to normal contractions then i will see the dr, but till then maybe take things easy. Goodluck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Thanks for all the info and help, I had a few more lying down last night which freaked me out as I could still feel them after taking panadol but woke up this morning and they were gone. They started up again this afternoon and I have had some period like pains and some regular contrax like pains so I am def going to see dr on Monday. They are a lot less regular and shorter today so I'm not too worried but if these more painful ones keep up I will be calling the hospital back.

To those of you who have experienced similar - did you have any dilation with all those contractions? thanks

What did the doctors say? Is everything ok now??

I hope everything is ok

Take care

Eve (HUGS)

Hope you're feeling better Sarah and they're starting to ease up.

So thats what i feel sometimes, usually when im on my feet alot.

Hope all is well Saram!

Yep everything is good. Still haven't seen my OB but have been in contact with them and they don't seem too concerned. Still get them often and strong but they aren't regular like they were and the cramping has stopped so I guess my uterus is just going to be well toned by the time this bubba is ready to make there arrival :-) Thanks for your help