Thread: Bubs heartbeat to tell sex

Fire Fly Guest

Default Bubs heartbeat to tell sex

My friend who is two weeks behind me swears she is having a girl because bub has a fast heartbeat. I think she said it was 160bpm. She isnt going to find out what the sex is but is keen for me to find out my bubs hb so we can compare.
    Im fasinated by this. Has anyone ever determined the sex and been right just by the rate of the hb.
    I have an ultrasound on friday so ill know then, its not something that they tell me so im going to have to ask and see. Not sure i want to know though.

Whats your thoughts and experiences. Is it just an old wives tale?

They do say a fast heart beat is a girl (a beat over 155+).... my DD was always around 155. Boys heart beats are supposedly sp? slower

Its an old wives tale. Your baby's heart beat should be between 110 and 160 an on occasions will go up to 200 for a short time

Interesting...... my bubs hb last scan was about 146 bpm and I think it is a girl (we are not finding out) cos' sonographer said 'there SHE is' when bubs popped up on the screen, or otherwise he calls all bubs shes????

I personally believe it is an old wives tale. What I have been told is that the heartbeat starts of really quick and its not unusual for it to get a bit slower as your pregnancy goes on. Someone correct if wrong?

This is sort-of true - girls have a faster heart rate than boys whilst the mother is in labour. So you can find out with this method an hour or two earlier than if you just waited and looked between the legs!

Well, I asked about this one when i had my last ultrasound at 26 weeks,, and was told by the sonographer that it was a complete wivestale.
    He said that the heartbeat when they take it is just of a moment in time. The heartbeat reading they get is only for that precise minute,,, and in another minute or so if bubba is active, it will go up,, and if bubba is sleeping, or resting it is slower,,,, so not to worry bout what it means,, as the heartbeat will vary its speed constantly the whole pregnancy through. HTH.

Eleanor's heartbeat was anything between 130 to 155bpm. It just depends on when they are checking for the heartbeat.
    If i didn't know i was having a girl i would have said boy. Also when pg with Alexander his would be over 155bpm at times.

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

With my DD, her heartbeat was always between 130 - 155bpm, DS's heartheat was always higher. I think that this is definately and old wives tale and really can't determine the sex of the baby....but in saying that, I have found plenty of old wives tales that have been accurate, not only with my pregnancies but with friends.

When pregnant I googled 'old wives tales in pregnancy' and came across some fantastic sites that ask a series of questions and then it will give you and answer to boy or girl. It was alot of fun, but I wouldn't take it TOO seriously.
    Last edited by MUMMY4LIFE; January 29th, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Both my ultrasounds at 18 wks were over 155bpm - both were girls.....i tend to think its an old wives tale though...

Fire Fly Guest

:biggrin: Thankyou all, she did say it was an old wives tale but had a tinge of belief in it. It makes sense about when the bub is sleeping or active that the heartrate is going to be different as it is with ours.
    Im suspecting this is why im never told what the HR is and thats because as long as its in the range then i dont need to know. As long as i get to hear it im not fussed how fast its going really.

I didnt want to find out the sex anyway so its a relief that i cant that way.