Thread: Can you make the dr/hospital change your EDD?

Default Can you make the dr/hospital change your EDD?

Well i am going for my appointment with my new hospital on tuesday.

What i am wondering is i have disagreed with the dr's about my due date from the get go.

I think i am due the 15th October and they are going off a 6 week scan that showed 23rd October (so a week later).

The 2 scans since that one have shown me a week ahead (agreeing with my prediction)... - i know they say the 6 week is the most accurate but it didnt make sense to me.

If i am due a week later it means that i had a HCG of 100 at 3 weeks pg and a +ve pregnancy digital (50MIU) at 3 weeks pg... hence why i am thinking i was 4 weeks not 3 weeks at this stage.

Can i convince them to change m y due date.

I understand that baby will come when ready but when it comes to being overdue... i dont want to be 3-4 weeks overdue because they dont trust what i think is my correct due date?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I think you are in a great position - you wont get hassled for an induction if you are post dates unless there is a true medical problem or unless you are really post-dates!!! I would stick with what they had and be really happy with that. Inductions can be very nasty and if there is a problem they will induce you. True inductions are not needed very often.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

yeah that is true Kelly
    I am still telling everyone my EDD is the 23rd lol - so i get a weeks grace of is the baby here yet...

Maybe i should just keep it and then when the baby comes early... lol surprise

I was just about to say to leave it. My EDD is the 4th of November (first scan & LMP) yet the scans & midwife are asying the 28th of October, but im not changing it. I want the breathing space for bub to come in his own time.

I am in the same position as you - going by my LMP my due date is the 2nd Nov (if i go by my O date it is actually 5th Nov) - I tested positive at exactly 4 weeks. When I had my scan at 7 weeks, they put me a week ahead at 8 weeks with a due date 28th October. The hospital has been using my scan date and i seem to be measuring the same but luckily for me my GP wrote my date of confinement as 2nd Nov on my letter for work so that enables me to stay at work slightly longer I'm sure our bubs will have the last say in the end hehe.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep good point - will save you getting hassled by friends/family every 5 minutes as soon as your EDD hits!!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I was considering asking my doctor to bring forward my EDD only because my work only allows you to start paid maternity leave from 6 weeks before your due date and I wanted an early break!

But I thought it was a bit cheeky to ask...

Sharon

Deni - You can start Mat leave earlier if you provide a certificate from your OB stating you are unfit to continue working beyond a certain date, without having to amend your EDD.

BTW EDD's are just a guide, my DD was given two different dates during the pregnancy and she came well after both of them, I went into spontaneous labour the night before I was booked in for an induction (at 41 weeks), and it was still another full day before she was born!. Dont worry to much about it, and if anyone askes say your due late October without giving an actual date.

BOL

Lisa

Pinkpalace, if you know for sure what date or around what date you ovulated and concieved they may consider changing it, but usually if its within 7-10 days they wont bother. My EDD is 2/11 but i know i didnt ovulated til a week later than normal and bubs is measuring 7/11 but they wont change it cause its within the 7-10 days of the EDD but your the patient so demand it.

My mum had a scan with my brother and they changed the due date to a month later! This was 20 years ago when they only measured the size of heads to determine fetal age, but we are small headed people lol. That meant that she had a positive HPT two weeks before she even conceived lol. He was born the day after mum thought she was due.

I wouldn't worry about it if they are giving you more time, I would only complain if they were making the due date earlier.