Thread: chicken sandwiches

maggie Guest

Default chicken sandwiches

HMM< i am kicking myself now:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I know that we should be careful eating chicken, but for lunch today i couldnt help myself and from Trios, i had a chicken and avocado wrap, they are a busy shop so the turnover would be fast. but it was the 1st time in mnths that i have had the chicken( i am 22w) and now i feel so guilty... does anyone else have chicken in sandwiches, gotta be others,, thanks

I had some chicken lunch meat that I bought at woolies in a sandwich the other day, I was craving it which was wierd. Don't feel guilty, I remember last pg I ate dinner at MILs one night and she just did bbq chook and salad - I didn't want to tell her I couldn't eat it so I ate a little and then of course I felt really bad, but of course nothing happened to the baby - she was fine!

Don't feel guilty!!

Bon

Kirsty77 Guest

Can I ask a dumb question.....why cant you eat chicken when pregnant?Do you mean just precooked from the shops?

With chicken, particularly the pre-cooked ones from the shops and deli meat, there is a risk of listeria. Home cooked chicken should be fine as you know that it is cooked properly and you know it has been stored safely, but with bought chicken there is that small risk.

Bon

maggie Guest

Kirsty- Listeria, so any deli meats are best to avoid..

Sal Guest

...hey I didn't even know that! It is a little OTT how we are made to be so afraid of so many foods when pg (I remember eating some salami in a pizza then feeling really worried - how silly)

When I was pg with Lucie I was soooo paranoid about all the food stuff and stuck to the 'rules' religiously after suffering a previous m/c. This pg I eat everything! My ob when I was pg with Lucie actually said I could eat everything anyway. I guess it's best to be safe than sorry though. But this pg I eat stuff from the deli, bbqed chooks,h soft cheeses (if you have a look they are all pasteurised anyway!). Don't stress too much, I'm sure all will be fine.

I had a 1/4 BBQ chicken about 3 weeks ago. I have been craving it since ive been pregnant and made sure it was froma decent shop and piping hot (and had no pink uncooked parts). I was fine.. but not going to make a habit of it.

Yes,ive been guilty! Red rooster drive through is convineant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatie
    soft cheeses (if you have a look they are all pasteurised anyway!).
    Lysteria contamination happens during the cheese manufacturing process whch is after the pasteurising occurs. It's not safe to base your decision to eat soft cheeses on the basis that the milk has been pasteurised. Better to be safe I beleive.

Lorin Guest

I was told only to stay the hell away from Salami and dips. Nothing about chicken. I think its very strange that when you ask what foods to stay away from the only really say pre made foods and stuff like that but i want pacifics, like wat sort of deli meat, What if its been freshly cut, im personally dont see where the harm is in eating ham the freshly cut in front of you. But no one specifies this, i baught a preg book and read up and all it says in there is stay away from deli meats, seafood - oysters, prawns, etc, pre made dips, but aparently salsa dips for CC'S are ok. There are so many theories i just dont know what to listen too, you know i will end up eating nothing, a strick bread diet. LOL does any one else feel like this or am i just losing the plot that i cant eat all these yummy foods.

Well I'm allergic to some processed meats anyway, so my heart's not broken on that one

My mum wants chicken sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, I'll just nuke (microwave) my chicken to make sure it's hot before I eat it. Cooking kills most bacteria (according to my biology teacher anyway!).

I eat cooked salami (as my dad points out, Italians still have kiddies), I avoid deli salads (I've seen those deli girls be SO unhygenic), have soft serve in milkshakes very occasionally. Check with my midwives if I'm unsure.
    That's just the decisions and standards I've set for myself.

I am a bit more casual than some, that's okay, I think it's really good to have the information out there, and then make an informed decision about what your personal standard will be.