Thread: choroid plexus cysts

Default choroid plexus cysts

Hi!
    I have posted in other threads, but Im just interested to know if anyone has had Choroid Plexus Cysts appear during their 18-20 week u/s? They are in the baby's brain.
    If there is something else wrong with the baby (like heart, abdomin etc) it can be a sign of Trisomy 18 (test done at 12 weeks for that). If nothing else is wrong, apparently they disappear.
    Our little bub has them, and I've been absolutely freaking out. Doesn't appear to be anything else wrong though. Now we are just waiting. We will have another u/s in about 5 weeks.
    i just wondered if anyone's experienced this. Most babies go on to be 100% normal. The cysts are apparently present in 2% of babies, even after birth, and mean nothing. It's still a worry though, and I am waiting to be reassured...I hope.
    xoxo

Meg

I haven't had this experience but want to wish you the very best of luck.

Here's hoping that your precious little baby is just fine.

BEst wishes

meg,

i really dont know about it myself. i guess the best thing you can do is relax and not get too stressed out about it, especially if it is quite normal for 2% of babies and yours has nothing else wrong.

all the best for your next US

Linda

Thanks for your replies. I am pretty calm about it all now, but I'd still like to talk to anyone in the same sitch. Im pretty annoyed that if it's so harmful they make you worry so much!!
    Saw the midwives today and they're actually going to complain that I was sent home with the report and no one even talked to me about it. so the report had words like abnormal, above normal etc and I had to decipher it. Scary stuff.
    Im being positive though and am looking forward to another u/s in 4 weeks xoxo

Melody Guest

Wow Meg.... that is so thoughtless of the hospital/lab to do that to you! I'm really sorry that happened.

I have no information to share but loads of support to give :flower:

I have everything crossed for you & am sure this will work out just fine

misspiggy Guest

Default Choroid Plexus Cysts

Hi - I'm new here but when I saw your post I had to tell you that I was in exactly the same position with my first pregnancy - so I know how scary it can be! My daughter had multiple choroid plexus cysts at her 18 week ultrasound and I was absolutely petrified, but thankfully they (as in the vast, vast majority of cases) meant nothing and she is now a perfectly healthy 2 year old.

I found the choroid plexus cyst website which I referred to often throughout the rest of the pregnancy. There is a message board where lots of people post who are exactly the same position as you . . . it's really reassuring.

When I was told about the CPCs my midwives said that they are becoming 'quite fashionable these days' as ultrasound technology is developing so rapidly . . . but generally they could be considered about as significant as birthmarks. They also said that they hoped soon that they would stop putting them on ultrasound reports as it was flipping people out, mostly unnecessarily (especially when there are no other signs of an abnormality!).

I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Thanks for that misspiggy!!! I appreciate it!! We had an ultrasound two weeks ago and the cysts had gone. I have to say, I had been on the boards of the CPC website and found it to be great. I realised there wasn't really a risk involved if everything was ok otherwise. Im so glad everything worked out for you and you have a healthy two year old. It's really reassuring and great to hear that.
    Thank you again
    xoxoxo