Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation

Default Constipation

I have been suffering DREADFULLY. Resorted to suppositories last night. I am taking blackmores pg vitamins, have lots of water daily, have a good high fibre breakfast, and at least one piece of fruit daily - eating really well. Do some mild exercise too.

Any hints?

I suffer from this babdly: we have a big thread on it somewhere, which I'll try adn dig out, but my "remedy" is a smoothie with phlissium husks chucked into it.

Phylissium husks are the same as Metamucil without the flavourings and are heaps cheaper (you can buy bags for around $2.50 from the supermarket, from the health food aisle) & are totally safe in pregnancy.

I mix 2 teaspoons of phylissium husks, a glass of milk or iced coffee, along with a banana or Milo, wizz in the blender and drink........it is delish and keeps me beautifully and gently regular.......

Bananas are v.expensive at the moment, so maybe use Milo instead, in a smoothie, as this has the additional benefit of contanining plenty of phosphorus which helps keep pregnancy leg cramps at bay!

HTH
    Last edited by Lucy; May 23rd, 2006 at 03:54 PM.

Benefibre was my friend.
    I had shocking const problems. To the point where i had hemarroids and i'd bleed everytime i'd go.
    I'd give Benefibre a go. It's great because oyu can put it in anything and unlike Metamucil, it has no taste and no texture. I'd put it in juice, tea, water... don't even know it's there and it's magic!
    I got const after giving birth too and there it was again. (I had to tend to it quickly because i had a cesar and was popping stitches trying to go. )

I am certain that banana actually encourages blockage so i'd be careful with that one.

Definately avoid banana if you are blocked.. it can make it worse. But if taken in conjuction with Metamucil or similar, then I doubt it would do any harm.

Pear Juice works wonders too and tastes so much better than Prune Juice!

For me, Stagg brand Chilli (be careful of the dynamite flavour - don't attempt without sour cream or a glass of milk!!) works well, think it's a combo of the spice and beans.
    It's yummy too (well I think so). Just be aware of some gassy repercussions...you know, spice and beans..
    And kiwifruit work a treat as well.

After talking about food, I hope this isn't too gross, but sometimes a shower or bath helps...perhaps the warmth, erm, softens the business end of things a bit?
    Ewww.

Anyway, hope you find some relief.

cutebloke04 Guest

Hello i am also very clogged up so to speak i ahve anlways had a bowel problem but since finding out im pregnant it seems to be worse. I was using benefibre but i found after a few weeks it was tasting weird not sure if it is my tatsbuds or it went yuky was a new container not sure. Now i am taking metimucil (spelling?) tablets which don't seem to be doing all that. I find i am gettig really sore tummy pains which makes me so nervous..... Sucks doesn't it

The other trick I use is to lean backwards on the toilet........that is most likely obvious, but I always used to lean forward, but now I lean backwards as it straightens out the pipe IKNWIM, and seems to aid the flow.........LOL

I have this problem aswell. Even though they are a bit expensive I get the metamucil in the capsule form. You can get them from the supermarket. You just have to make sure that you have a decent glass of water when taking them and keep the fluids going. I found them to be great as I was finding everything hard to keep down. Good luck

Love

Sigh. Could this thread have jinxed me? Ah well, just ate a lot of kiwifruit, talk about putting my money where my mouth is!

Lorin Guest

So kiwifruit is good??? as in the fruit or only the drink coz im nto a huge fan on fruit drinks but i love eating kiwifruit

Milo works for me... I dont take any vitamins as I eat a Low GI diet and my OB is happy for me not to take them

Either Lorin, fruit or drink!

I forgot to say though, to (who asked originally? Ah, Magic) that yeah, the drinking lots of fluid thing is really important. Because as far as I understand it, our preggie hormones loosen our intestinal muscles too, which slows down traffic, and so the intestines have more time to take water out of our waste, leaving it dryer and harder to travel. Which is why water helps.

Which is why it's my own silly fault I have this problem, from not drinking enough!

Did all those suffering manage to find relief? May I just say to those losing sleep over my situation, that the kiwifruit has pulled through for me once again. So now you can all sleep.

Given the time, perhaps I should too

Metamucil works for me

Nelle- LOL
    Great. Now that we have your issue resolved, there is just one problem standing between me and a good nights sleep.... DS!!
    Sort him out, and we're laughing!

Great to hear the blockage has been resolved though. I remember it was NOT nice when i had it!

Portess Guest

Baked Beans and Benefibre

It has NO taste and NO texture when you dissolve in fluid or soft food (like custard)..

Good luck!

Ob recommended Actilax, has done the job

Lorin Guest

Gotta say i went out and baught the Metamusil Tablets from Woolies as the 100 pack was on special for 16 $$$ and they are now working for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast