thread: Cr*p! I just used Betadine

Aug 2006

Red face Cr*p! I just used Betadine

I have an open sore on my scalp (gross, I know) and was worried about it getting infected while I am prg so went to the chemist today to get some betadine to help clear it up and prevent infection.

I'd done one application (and admittedly most of it ended up in my hair) but about 20 mins after applying it, I read the box which said it shouldn't be used during prg

I immediately washed it off as best I could - I shouldn't panic too much right? I don't think there's anything else I can do It is a small area (about the size of a 5c piece) and was only on for about 20-30 mins before I washed it off.

I am very obviously pregnant, you'd think the stoopid people in the chemist would have said something, but then again I should have read the the information on the back too

I had NO idea you couldn't use it, I thought it was pretty harmless stuff!
    Last edited by Willow; April 21st, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Jul 2007
    Over the rainbow

Personally ... I don't think you should worry.
    And don't blame the chemist He might have thought it was for your husband/child/mother/employee , kwim?

If it makes you feel better, I would have use Betadine during pg too, I would NEVER have read the leaflet

Feb 2007
    In the jungle.

i had no idea either. I used it during both pregnancies. I wonder why they recommend not using it? It might be simply that there hasn't been a study done prooving it is safe..... not sure, but i wouldn't be too concerned.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

May 2005
    in the national capital

I'm pretty sure that the amount that you have used won't cause any issues at all - if, on the other hand, you were drinking it then we have a problem (actually we have two problems but that is another issue )

Try a bit of salty water instead - it should be just as effective at keeping it clean and infection free.

Aug 2006

Ange - Something about the idodine passing through the placental wall

Makes sense I guess but I would never have thought to question it. I'm not going to stress too much about a single application, but wish I hadn't spent $11 on it for nothing!

For those that may be reading, you're not supposed to use it whilst b'feeding either. Same reason, the idodine can pass into breastmilk.

Can anyone suggest something else to help heal a small wound?

ETA: Muppity- snap, was just thinking the same thing

Jun 2005
    Perth

Oops I have also used betadine in this pregnancy - in fact only a couple of weeks ago and the chemist also recommended it too!

Feb 2007
    In the jungle.

Hmmmm, seems to be category D, best avoided!

I would use tea tree oil Willow.

Jul 2007
    Over the rainbow

There are LOADS of anti-septic ointments in the market. I'm sure you'll find one that is safe during pg.

Nov 2008
    Perth

I had no idea it was off the list either! I've used it a couple of times during this pregnancy - whoopsies! I did check the tube first (as we no longer had the box) and assumed it was ok.

Gosh, there's another one to add to the banned list!

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Hi Willow
    Don’t worry hun the small amount of betadine you used will have no effect on your baby at 27 weeks.
    You could use something with chlorhexadine in it for example Dettol

Aug 2006

Great, thank you Alan! I have dettol in the cupboard, will try that.

PS Good to see you post, hope you're feeling well

DoubleK Guest

i was going to suggest ringing the chemist and asking them (i have done this a few times when ive forgot to mention early pg or breastfeeding) but i think Alan has cleared it up!

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

I'm worried now too! I have had a bacterial infection on my skin for a couple of weeks and both the doctor and the chemist recommended Betadine so I have been using it twice a day. The skin is not broken though, so hopefully that is a positive? i don't know why they recommend these things if they are not supposed to be used.

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Hi Rosy
    The doctor and the chemist should have known better. Although the chance that you will cause any problem to your growing baby there is still a chance. Betadine is cytotoxic (kills new cells) and this is one reason that it is recommended that you do not use it when pregnant. As your skin was not broken you would not have absorbed much of the betadine also your baby is just about fully grown so I am sure that your baby will be fine. However I would suggest that you stop using the betadine and change to a chlorhexadine based antiseptic.

Jan 2009
    Melbourne

How odd that iodine should be a problem when we are told women don't get anough iodine in their diet to prevent neural defects in babies (hence the Blackmores I-Folic tablets).
    Is it the type of iodine or something else in Betadine that's of concern?