Thread: Cramping

Unhappy Cramping

Hi guys,
    I'm absolutely positive that this has been discussed somewhere on this forum before but I can't seem to find it.
    I'm 16 weeks pregnant today and for the last few days I've been experiencing really bad cramps in my pelvis. I haven't had any bleeding or increased discharge.
    Are these growing pains or something I should be worried about?

For some reason I am having really bad feelings.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

Hey Dan
    I dont no how much help i am going to be, i had on and of cramps and pains in my pelvis
    and in my lower tummy when i was about 17 + weeks i was told it was just growing pains as long as you dont have any bleeding then i wouldnt be to worried but if you would feel better then i would go and see your Dr or ring the midwive. I hope that you feel better soon and try and sit down and put your feet up
    The pain sounds just like growing pains.

I get the growthing pains alot now sometimes it feels as if bubba is gonna pop out...lol

Take care i hope you start to feel better soon

Eve

oh pick me pick me! I had really bad cramping and BH at 22wks scared the #$*% out of me. No discharge or bleeding either. Someone - Alan - I think said it was pretty normal and my OB told me to rest, feet up lying down is best. Hope your feeling better soon

I'm with the others here. I've had some bad cramps here and there in the last few weeks and they've been terrifying at the time. At the stage we're at, the ligaments that anchor the uterus are stretching like crazy as there's a lot of growth going on in these weeks. The advice I've been given is to stay well hydrated and make sure I get plenty of lying down rest throughout the day. Also, if there's no blood with the cramping then they're generally not so sinister.

Some of the cramps I've had are way worse than anything PMS related that I've ever had and feel a lot like really, really bad constipation pains for 30 seconds or a minute or more and then they go away. I've also found a link between how active I am and how often/bad they are.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I've also found a link between how active I am and how often/bad they are.
    The more active the worse they are or the other way around?

I get increased cramping with increased activity. Last pregnancy this wasn't an issue but with this one if I do too much I get pelvic cramping and a small amount of spotting. The cramps usually ease with rest. I am only very early in my pregnancy so I am probably no help to your original question Nurse Dan, but a growth spurt at this time is to be expected. No harm in getting it checked out if you are concerned.

Hey Dan. I'm the same. A couple of weeks ago (16 odd weeks) I had horrible pains for a couple of days and then nothing at all for 2 days, and now back to normal stretching pains with the occasional bad cramp thrown in. As you know, that's when I got really worried that something was horribly wrong but its all fine. Hang in there.

Hi Dan, I had the same thing at 16 weeks. I had cramps (and I never had real cramps before, just the twinges). I think it was also because I was overdoing things. I also had alot of twinges and lightning bolt sensations iykwim. I saw my GP and he said at this stage the uterus is pushing up which may cause some discomfort and pains. He said not to worry unless I was doubled over with pain and/or had spotting. I know it's worriesome, I panicked too. Get checked out at your GP for peace of mind.

HI Dan,

I'm the same as everyone too. I've had quite strong cramp like pains on and off for my whole pregnancy (I am now almost 18 weeks) and I asked my Ob about them last week at my appt. He said as long as there is no bleeding then ther is nothing to worry about and they are completely normal. The girls are spot on when they say it is just the ligaments around your pelvis stretching & your uterus expanding. So try not to stress - just remember your body is the home of a miracle right now!

Thank you all so much for all your advice. It's so good to be able to bounce all our little worries off someone wtihout them thinking we are going crazy or being worry worts.

Thanks guys.

Hi Dan,

I'm so glad I read your post - I've been getting some pretty bad cramping feelings today and it's been stressing me out quite a bit too. I was quite active at work today (and lifted some boxes when I probably shouldn't of) so it was a little worrying. The no bleeding thing doesn't really make me feel much better either as I had a missed m/c, so I now always think that it's my body's way of coping, so I worry that I won't know if something has happened - it's a never ending bad cycle. Anyway, I have a doppler and got the strongest heartbeat tonight so obviously all is fine.

Along with everyone else, I'm guessing it's just stretching and overdoing things a little. I still don't really understand what stretching pains feel like, so it's all a little confusing for me. I've had some sharp stabbing pains low down too but I guess things are just moving around. It's so weird but really good to know that we're not in this alone and that others are experiencing the same thing.

Take care.

Kelly xxx

I felt the same as you ive had cramping pains off and on through out my preg im now 27 weeks and everything is fine my ob told me its either gas pains or growing pains. Also the baby can be near a nerve with is painful

Wow, I'm so glad I read this and know that it's not just me! I'm almost 18 weeks and have been having strange pains since last night.

Started out as intermittent stabbing pains near appendix last night. Slept well but woke up and pains were still there.

Now it's progressed to a period pain feeling throughout my lower belly and also a lower back ache. Have been really worried but no bleeding so am going to think positive now after reading this thread!

Thanks all!

Jo