Thread: Cramping in the hips?

Question Cramping in the hips?

I'm aware it's probably normal for joints and muscles to cramp up during pregnancy. But does anyone else get cramps in their hips? I get them occasionally in my calf muscles especially at night, as I read this is normal. But I haven't been able to read anything on hips. I'm guessing it's just them spreading for preperation for labour. Does anyone know if this is right?

BeckyandJames Guest

This probably wont be of any help to you, but I have been having troubles with my hips lately and was starting to wonder if it was normal.
    It's not so much cramping, I just have terrible pains when I get up at night to go to the toilet or if I get up from sitting too long at work, so I will be interested in hearing some answers, too.

i get pains in my hips as well. Mainly my left, not so much cramping, but more pinched nerve, locked up feeling.
    I can only assume its all normal.

Hi girls,

I too have had really bad hip pain since about week 8! It is really painfull I too have tried to find info on this and there seems to be nothing around. I think that I will go and have physio and see if that makes a difference...

linny Guest

Hi mel,

Ive been getting this for weeks and went to Drs.She said it was the ligaments in the hips and pelvis loosening up and also that causes the nerves to pinch either in the back or hip/thigh.She suggested physio for mine because it getting worse.Hope this helps it is very painful.

OMG Linny it's funny you say it's what causes the pain in the hips and back. My siatica has been killing me lately, getting to the point where it hurts to sit, stand or do anything. I'm thinking about going to a chiropractor, but might wait until my hospital app. on friday. The cramping in my hips though, does really hurt when it happens, it's like the cramps you get in muscles where you go all stiff, but in my hip joint. And the back pain has only started in the last two weeks or so, about two to three weeks after the cramping started. Have you been to the phsio yet?

Hi gals,

I was talking to my NP the other night during my pg massage, she wants me to start having massages every 2 weeks (they are for free - thank god ) but she said it was because things start to really move around now, and all the muscles etc start to make way for the growing baby and it was normal to feel pain in the pelvic region, back and hips. So the massages will be to help relieve some of those symptoms.

So it sounds like its all normal and jsut one of those things