Thread: Cramps

Default Cramps

Hey Ladies,

I dont know if its just the weather being crazy and all, but last night i started getting cramps in my lower legs (calves), i got a really painful couple, but today you know how you can feel them coming on when you put your legs in certain positions or too much weight on them? thats what they are like atm, im supposed to be helping MIL at the wedding Expo but she said to come in a bit later when i feel better.
    Thing is i dont know what to do? what to take? she was saying Tonic Water SIL was saying some salt stuff but doesnt know if its ok to take whilst pg?
    I was thinking of popping a couple of Panadol.
    before the cramps i was getting really achey knees and hips whilst sleeping, i thought the cramps could have eventuated from that?

What do you guys reckon i should do?
    TIA

a lot of women get it during the wonderful journey of pregnancy

Go to the chemist and get some magnesium tablets, they will work a treat! there is another thread around sayng the same thing too

Hi...

One of my friends is an OB, when I was having trouble with cramps (caused by a medication I had just started) she told me that they suggest to preggy mums who are having trouble with cramps to drink mineral water. It was simple, effective and best of all, completely safe!

BW

magnesium tablets and mineral water hey!! Might have to give it a go! Although I dont like mineral water, actually cant stand the stuff! Can i put some cordial in it?? LOL
    I have to get down to the Expo soon, cant leave MIL in the lurch for too long.

I looked for the thread Danni but i think bubs denied me actually finding it LOL
    I thought it was related to being PG!! b/c of the achy knees and hips i had a week before had during the night!
    The joys we go through for our little miracles!! and men still dont understand, although Rick was very very helpful when i started crying at 6am this morning b/c of a bad cramp i got!! I suppose its better then nothing!! LOL

Thanks guys

Naomi, I would just drink the fruit-flavoured fizzy mineral waters - but I imagine cordial won't be a problem.

BW

haha ive been waking up DH by crying early hours of the morning with pelvic cramps! bout time they got disrupted

I too have had cramps in my calves first thing in the morning. They're excruciatingly painful - I knew that they were common but didnt think it'd be this bad. After the first one I had trouble walking for hours. I dont really feel comfortable taking magnesium but will definitely give (flavoured) mineral water a try.

The things we put up with! But its all worth it of course

Naomi, I started getting these about a week ago, so you're pretty much on track LOL! They are an absolute bugger, nothing like leaping out of the bed half-asleep at 3 in the morning yelping cos you've got a cramp in your leg/foot! I had one the other night that left me sore for two days OUCH. I will def. try the mineral water. I've had two chemists say that magnesium hasn't been tested for safeness in pg so weren't prepared to sell it to me. I keep meaning to ring the RWH drug line tos see what they think.

I'm sure it's fine though, lots of women take it. I hope they ease up for you!

I already eat at least one banana a day LOL! I love them, even when they were $10/kilo!

I know that chemists are really paranoid, it just made me think I should check it first. I'm seeing my Ob on Thursday so will ask him about it. Like you Caro, I trust him with my life

Thanks ladies, am taking magnesium tablets which have helped heaps (well actually have only taken 2, but 2 is better then cramps).
    Now im getting tooth aches, if its not one thing its another!!! I take some panadol (but freak out taking it so only take it when i cant handle the pain) although it hasnt helped to much, and am using bonjella. Its my bottom wisdom teeth that are trying to come through. Now when it was painful on one side the panadol and the bonjella really helped and worked, but it doesnt seem to work aswell on this side, whish is rather annoying.
    Considering its a wisdom tooth that hasnt even broken through yet, if i go to a dentist will they be able to do anything or am i wasting my time and money?

TIA

P.S glad to hear im on track with the cramps Sez LOL wouldnt want to be getting them early or late!! HEHE

Hi there
    I was told to drink Tonic Water as it contains Quinine - which apparently alleviates cramps. I had an enormous cramp in my leg that my husband had to stretch out for me because my leg was like a board. It was astounding. Strangely enough I was getting them in my legs when the weather was cooler - not hot.
    Tonic Water is pretty gross and putting stuff with it doesn't make it taste any better. I've heard the usual recommendation with Tonic Water is Gin - but that's kind of out of the question at the moment. Despite the taste my leg cramps have stopped since I have been holding my nose and drinking it.
    Bananas are a probably a better option. They taste a heck of a lot better!! Not only that but they can curb the hunger fest.

eeewww dont want tonic water, just sent amym's DH off to shops (was on his way out anyway but still) to get me some bananas, lets see if that wroks, am a bit skeptical about the magnesium tablets, have only takent he two, but it stopped all movements from bubs for about 3 hours till i poked him for about 5min to wake him up, so im thinking of alternative methods now.

Thanks heaps Ladies

Hey Naomi, if you've got a toothache you should definitely get to a dentist, sooner rather than later. They might not be able to 'do' much, but if you've got, or getting, an infection it will definitely need to be treated. Don't be scared, they're not going to extract your teeth on the spot, but they might be able to clean around them to help them feel better, or will put you on some SAFE abs.

I don't know how to post links to threads, but I was chatting to Monnie about a similar problem last week in pg general discussion, the thread is called 'sore tooth and earache'.

HTHs, let me know if you need anything else!

Don't put it off Caro! I know the dentist isn't fun, but I always tell people, the longer you leave it, the worse it's going to be, and the more it's going to cost you LOL!

Hope your TA isn't anything too much, it might be something really basic

ok mummy i will make sure i go and see a Dentist, LOL.
    I know better safe then sorry, damn kid is taking away from me already and he aint born yet!! LMAO what is he going to be like when he is born?
    LOL

Fletch: I learnt that the hard way! LOL, so yes it does make sense to me!