Thread: Craving salt

Default Craving salt

I'm going crazy! Nothing tastes right, nothing is salty enough, or flavoursome enough or anything!!!! I don't know what to do as I know salt isn't all that good for pregnancy but its just sooooo good.

Anyone else had this?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melinda Guest

I haven't had it myself, but I've definitely heard of it!!

Perhaps a bag of hot chips with salt is the way to go?! Or some salt 'n' vinegar chips? I should shut up as I'm probably encouraging that craving LOL!!!

ROFLMAO! Ya dag! And it doesn't help that all the coles in the world have suddenly decided to stop stocking the gravy I like (greens seasoned onion) and tonight we had meat and veg and I just wanted *MY* gravy and nothing could make it taste right [-(

OooooOOOoo and I also just read something interesting (doing some research to see if salt is dangerous) not only is salt not bad for you (despite what we've been told about hypertension) its actually good for fluid retention or something. There are currently no evidence that cutting back salt prevents or stops/slows down hypertenstion *phew*. Annnnnnnnnd did you know if you have bad morning sickness its likely that your child will crave salty foods as an adult...interesting :-k

Yeah yeah, blabbing I know...

*hugs*
    Cailin

One wives tale is if you crave salt it's a boy and if you crave sugar it's a girl. I was craving salt in early pg so DH went and bought me 4 big bags of chips and I never ate them again...typical. Then I was craving sugar and chocolate but that's no different to normal when not pg.

Melinda Guest

Actually I had heard of the part where it is good for fluid retention would you believe! You'd actually think it was the opposite wouldn't you, but no!

On the morning sickness front, which I had until 23w (OMG....I don't wish that on you!), something that I ate quite frequently were those 'Premium' biscuits which have the little bits of salt on them....MMMM They did the job nicely!

I wonder if Jacob will be a boy who likes his hot chips with salt then!? LOL

Hun, at least you're not eating DIRT!! 8-[

i was just like you in the first tri - couldnt get enough salt. and like you said 'nothing has enough flavour'. i ate hot chips WAY too much!!!!

i would just try to drink heaps of water as well as it will help to flush your system,

Linda

I have the biggest cravings for anything fatty with piles of salt, and anything I eat has no taste until I salt it. Am a bit worried about having too much salt.

Really weird is that I don't even cook with salt normally and now when I cook something I have begun to add salt while cooking and DH says it is fine yet I can't taste anything until I have added extra salt.

Joy.

Mum craved salty chips when she was PG with me.
    Cailin eat up then you'll get over it, hopefully...

*L* When I could stomach food in the 1st trimester, I really enjoyed wedges with sour cream or nachos. Then I hit mid 2nd trimester and couldn't get enough sugar. In fact, I can't get enough sugar still - hence why I've eaten most of the Mars Bar Slice I cooked earlier in the week! *LOL*

But all this talk about hot chips with salt... Mmmmmmm! I've always been quite liberal with salt, but when I'm dancing I sweat alot and find I need to eat a bit to stop from getting leg cramps. A registered nurse once told me that eating straight salt was the cure when you got cramps - ie. calf or foot cramps.

Perhaps the salt thing is why I loved gobbling down most of the pork crackle when I cooked the Roast Pork about two weeks ago! *LOL*

There was something in the news about pregnant women not gettting enough iodised salt too - thats something to keep in mind!

Well it turns out we are having a boy :-k Maybe there is truth to the old myth after all We'll see if the salt thing lasts during the pregnancy

*hugs*
    Cailin

This Pg and the last one all i did was crave salty things in particuliar i made tuna mornay 5 times in one week 8-[ ( using tuna in Brine ) while cooking the pasta in salt water then once it was cooked i would salt it again at the table (overkill) but i couldn't get enough of it that lasted about a week and a half now its gravy on everything

Cai if you do have salt you're less likely to get leg cramps too....

Debbie Lee Guest

Yay for your little boy, Cailin!
    Ooo... maybe my friend is having a boy too. All she wants to eat is plain, salty chips... :-k
    I too craved salty things while I had m/s but I moved on to craving salad rolls and sandwitches - much better, I thought