Thread: Cysts on Baby's Brain during scan

Question ...

Last edited by Just Me; February 4th, 2016 at 02:47 PM.

After Chloe was born, we discovered she had a syndrome that is quite rare. As part of the treatment for this she was booked for an MRI and to see a Neurologist. On the MRI at 4 months old, she had some cysts on her brain. The Neurologist and her Paediatrician were both unconcerned about this, as apparently it is normal for a number of children to be born with cysts. They usually disappear after time and have no lasting effect. If Chloe were to have another MRI now (2 yrs), they would probably not show up. These had nothing to do with causing her syndrome either - that was just bad luck!

I agree with your SIL - there's no point worrying about what might or might not happen. The best we can do is be prepared for it when it happens. If the cysts show up on the next scan, I would ask my paed about a referral to a neurologist after the baby is born though, just to set her mind at rest, and they may even do an MRI (which is not all that traumatic for a baby as they are asleep).

As a midwife I have often seen U/S reports commenting on cysts on the baby's brain. Usually picked up at the 18-20week scan. Apparently if there are other complications as well it can be a sign of a syndrome however if its cysts on there own then its usally pretty common and has no impliaction on the development of the baby and they do go away often with follow up ultrasounds or after birth. If your sister's scan only revealed the cysts and her baby's other organs are normal then I am sure there is no great concern. I am sure thats why the dr is not concerned and if they were they would be following up sooner rather then later. I hope your sister is able to enjoy her pregnancy without the constant worry.

My DD had this at her 18week scan. A Chorid Plexus Cyst is what her's was called.
    Generally on their own they are not of any concern, and they generally disappear...

My DD was born 17 march 2007 and is happy and healthy two year old

Thanks everyone for your responses - it is nice to know that they are somewhat 'normal'. She has a scan in a couple of weeks to see if the cysts have gone (which is a good sign). She has been told there is a higher risk if they are still there. they are gone.

Just Me - how did your SIL go? Cookie has a cyst too, and as predicted, it's starting to play on my mind a little

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Hope all was ok with your SIL:

Teni: DD had about 6 cyst when we had her scan @ 21 weeks, i was worried and they said i could go back for another scan to see if they had gone, we didnt as we decided we didnt want to have lots of scans and what are they going to do if they are still there anyway. The guy didnt say anything at the scan but refered me to my gp who told me about it. She was born totally fine.

This time the guy doing the scan, the same man who did DDs scan, bought it up at the scan, ''i see some cysts, but they are totally normal, i wouldnt be concerned, the can be a 'soft sign' of some problems but only when combined with other things that would show up on the scan'' i havent even given it a second thought this time.

We had them at our 20 weeks scan with DD1, they are called Choroid plexus cysts, but what reassured me was at the time three of my other Belly Buddies all had the same show up on their scans, all of which were told that they should dissappear withn a few weeks, they can even be there for a couple of years and be no harm at all, it is just the brain developing.

A bit of history on them, where there was a dramatic increase in the quality of the ultrasound equipment they were suddenly being found during a lot of scans, the decsion was made to bring all these mothers back in a couple of weeks for a follow up scan to see what had happened to them, and sure enough they were gone. It was then discovered that they are a natural part of the brain developing, while yes there is a chance (albeit very small) they they are a soft marker for Edwards Syndrome and possibly others, they need to be viewed inline with other soft markers, if these aren't present then the risk of ES is greatly reduced.

Just me ~ I hope all worked out with your SIL

Teni ~ Big hun, I know it can be scary reading that on your US report, but try not to worry hun, it is highly likely that they will dissappear

Take care xxoo

DD1 also had cysts, and she is a perfectly healthy, bratty, defiant 18 month old!

Last edited by Just Me; February 4th, 2016 at 02:48 PM.