Thread: Dizzy Spells

Unhappy Dizzy Spells

I took my mum out yesterday and on the way home I had to pull over cause I started to feel sick - nausea, dizziness and I was seeing white spots - I felt like I was going to pass out. I had some jelly babies in my bag so ate a few of them and after a few minutes I felt OK again. Mum said I went as white as a ghost in a matter of seconds. I dropped her off and on the way home it happended again (both in the space of about 15 minutes - lollies didnt work 2nd time) I'm assuming that it may have been my blood sugar levels but have also heard that a drop in blood pressure would have a similar effect. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing and know what the cause of this is???

Im still getting dizzy spells, I cant stand up for more than 2 mins without needing to sit. Its terrible. Im constantly drinking sprite, the sugar makes me feel better. But my blood pressure is also low which I was told is good, not sure how though! All I can say that works for me is putting my head between my legs. I look like an idiot doing it in the shops but it works! Sorry i not much help, I would like to know also!

ive had it pretty bad a few times i am only almost 10 weeks though.... the dr said its blood pressure dropping and the only thing u can really do about it is lay down and try to have something to eat/ drink... i find when i do that i feel better but it can take a while...

I had this once when preg with DS....I had white flickering in my eyes, and felt like fainting....It freaked me out!! It was a one off, and most likely due to low blood pressure. This was at about the 24 week mark.

Hi Girls
    The problem you are having is because of your blood pressure. Well sort of.
    What happens is that when you are pregnant, your veins and arteries all get bigger and wider in preparation for the increase in blood volume. By about 35 weeks your blood volume has increased by as much as an extra 75%. Because your blood vessels get bigger first this can cause a drop in blood pressure but it also is a little harder to pump blood to your brain. This reduced blood supply to your brain causes you to feel dizzy and on some occasions even faint. Putting your head between your knees is a good way to stop you feeling dizzy. But as long as you can get your head lower than the level of your heart that will also work.

Thanks Alan!!

It hasnt happened again but no doubt knowing my luck it probably will. I'll definitely try putting my head between my knees if it does! - if I can manage to make it that far down