Thread: do u need any more ultrasounds after 18wk

tianar Guest

Default do u need any more ultrasounds after 18wk

hi girls
    I am having my baby at a public hospital but have opted to have ultrasounds thru a private ultrasound clinic. Ive just had my 18 week scan and need to know should i book in for another one. If so what is the normal time to have another one. Dying to have a 3d scan

2nd_time_mum Guest

Default do u need any more ultrasounds after 18wk

Hi
    You dont need any ultrasounds after your 18 week scan unless there is something wrong i have to have one at 26 weeks as my placenta is lying low so they need to take another scan to make sure its not covering my cervix and is moving up but if there hasnt been anything found in your 18 week scan to make you need to go for another scan there is no need for another one after.
    Lisa

Yep, Lisa is right, no more scans unless someone wants to check something. Disappointing I know, I'd love another they're so much fun!

HI,
    Here in Wollongong they offer you a scan @ 34 weeks, they have noticed some placentas dont nourish babies as they should, therefore the scan. Also i had LLP so i had it checked at the same time. HTH.

Debbie Lee Guest

I had another one after but that was because they couldn't get a good view of Gabby's heart at the 18w one.

I had another just before I was induced... a growth scan or something? They wanted to know generally what size the baby was going to be (I was told 8lb 11oz and she was 8lbs born).

I got told they just usually do the routine one at 18-20wks, but there arent anymore routine ones after that, unless theyre worried about something and need to check on bub, or check placenta or anything else like that. I'm sure you could have a 3D one anyway though if you want.

As the others have said, there generally isn't another routine scan after 18wks.
    I'm having a second scan at 32 wks because my first one at 18wks showed a low lying placenta - I'm looking forwards to seeing little Bean again!

Well I vote they change the rules and make another scan known at 33 weeks just to keep check babes are growing well and give mamma peace of mind. Alot can change from 18 weeks to 33 so they should change the ruels about that!

Soul, I think being kicked awake at night gives me enough peace of mind without having to run to the hospital every five minutes! Although I did have a 31w scan after the midwife kept on about me needing it urgently (emergency appointment with obs etc) because I have a small bump. They're talking of sending me for another scan because the bump is small, even though the last scan showed that the baby was big - and I only have about 3 weeks to go! (Less than that when I next see my GP).

I half-wish I hadn't had the late one: although I liked seeing the baby again I didn't really enjoy the scan and the sonographer was far too quick and didn't point anything out to me, just did the measurements and I had to ask to see what was going on! Then it turns out the baby is big for dates, which makes me wish I thought the baby was small and therefore a bit easier to get out! I'd also rather not have been scared by the midwives and the obs I saw.

oh dear I hope what I wrote wasn't taken in that context, I was merely joking. I would never expect a women to keep running to the doctors every five minutes in worry. I just meant that as women we tend to worry abut our babies in the womb, well I do as I know what can go wrong thats all and that it would be nice to have that 'One last check" just to make sure the baby is ok. BUT that is my opinion only so please everyone know I didnt mean any offence by it, I , me, just me would like to be able to have one last check to see all is as it shuld be.

I had a dermoid cyst that was the size of a small lemon when first pregnant never got mointored and end up the size of a huge grape fruit and for that had to have my whole right ovary taken out. So this is what I am talking about things can change, so its just nice to have that one last looksie to make sure all is well in there.

Ah, Soul, I wouldn't have ever taken offence at your writing! I can understand why some people would like a last check, for me I have such an active baby and non-descript pregnancy (and I know I'm very lucky for that!) that I just feel my antenatal appointments are wasting everyone's time, especially as the only thing wrong with me was a slightly low iron once (which is normal for me - I know I don't eat enough iron sometimes but am usually very good about that) and a small bump, which I'd rather not have had people fretting me about.

Ultrasounds here are very short and wouldn't pick up an ovarian cyst as they just measure the baby as quickly as possible to move onto the next patient.

'Phew' lmao!

Phoenix is a very active baby too praise the lord for that.

I wish my OB had a machine in his office! I would like nothing more than to see my baby every week Ahhh....if we were hollywood stars and just go and buy one like Tom Cruise did

I am dying for my 19 week one....4 weeks to go!!! So I don't know how I will go after that knowing there is no more coming. I know feeling the baby and hearing the heart beat at my OB is great, but you just have the feelings that you want to see what little Jellybean is doing in there....sucking thumb, moving hands and feet etc. Its just the best feeling when you see it

tianar Guest

oh well seems its not routine to have another scan. i wished id had a different technician for my 18wk scan though. he didnt bother talking to me or explaining anything for the whole scan and when i asked him if he'd seen the gender he acted like id asked something out of the ordinary and sed "i can look if you really want" unfortunately bubs foot was in the way so i cant find out gender till its born:frown: