Thread: Doppler heartrate

angelique Guest

Default Doppler heartrate

Does anyone using a doppler see how varied the heart rate becomes every minute or so? Is this normal and what are the lowest and highest readings of some of you?

i haven't used a doppler (except at the obs), but from what i have read and been told it is quite normal for the heart rate to be all over the place.

Angelique
    the norman heart rate is anywhere between 110 and 160. But just like us, when we exercise out heart rate goes up. When your baby moves a lot its heart rate goes up. Dont let it scare you hun. It normal.

Alan (Midwife)

I just wanted to add that babies tend to sometimes 'move away' from the doppler and this makes the heart rate dip in and out. Your little one is only small yet and has lots of room to 'run around' and away from the doppler. This could be what is happening also.
    I hope this helps you to feel better,
    Deb

angelique Guest

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments and help.

xxxooo

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

angelique,

When I started using the doppler, I started getting concerned that my bub's hb seemed really slow, until I realised a few days later that I was listening to the umbilical cord, not the hb! Lol!

Just thought I'd share with everyone what a dill I was!

love
    sushee

angelique Guest

Guys I hope this doesn't sound too dumb but how can you tell you are listening to the umbilical cord? My bubbas sounds are muffled and I cant tell the difference. The lower it is does that mean it is the cord?

Alan, where is the best place to put the doppler at the stage I am at?

Hi Angelique

You need to put the doppler over the babies shoulder. It is going to be very difficult to find your babies shoulder at this age. You will need to try a few positions low on your tummy. Listen for a sound like a horse running. If you hear a swoosh swoosh sound this the cord.

angelique Guest

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that. I was hearing a swoosh sound last night. It was amazing. It is hard to pick up the sound of the heart beat because he is always on the run!!

I was told by a sonographer it would be hard for me to hear the sound of the heartbeat due to bubba moving all the time, but when he get's older it wont have much room to move and I will pick it up 4 sure.

It is hard when u have an active little one

I cant find the heartbeat on mine. I go thru so much gel trying to find it but I cant. I saw the heart beating at the hospital on Friday so I know it is there, just cant find it on my own.

Hi Angelique and delta_blue

Your babies are very small at the moment and they have a lot of room to move around. It can be difficult to hear the heartbeat. Try to wait until your baby is sleeping you may gt lucky.

angelique,

yes it was a swooshing sound that I first heard, at 17 weeks. I only realised that it was the umbilical cord a few days after when I stumbled upon the 'horse running' sound while moving the doppler around. Still took until about 19 weeks to get that second sound to come up again. I was starting to think I imagined it!

I could find the umbilical cord no probs from 17 weeks, but the hb took a lot longer (and further on in my pg) to find.

love
    sushee

I meant to say I found the umbilical cord at 14 weeks, but the hb (for the second time) at 19 weeks, and now cannot edit my posts! #-o

Also wanted to say it's much easier to find the hb now, but like Alan said, it's probably coz the bub doesn't have as much room to move!

love
    sushee

angelique Guest

Thanks sushee,

I will keep on playing with it and eventually when the bubs gets big enough I am sure I will become an expert at the sounds. Might take it to my OB on my next appointment so he can explain it all to me.

xxooo