Thread: Eggs

Default Eggs

Is it safe to eat poached eggs???

Yes thats fine, but make sure they are thoroughly cooked right through

As Danni said as long as they are well cooked its not a problem :-)

Yep, no runny eggs

why cant u eat runny eggs? i always have poached eggs that r runny...is that bad?

I found this in relation to soft-boiled eggs

'Eating softboiled or raw eggs is not recommended while you are pregnant because of the risk that the eggs may be contaminated with salmonella bacteria.

It has been estimated that one egg in every 450 in the UK is contaminated with salmonella, but luckily, thorough cooking kills the bacteria. Eggs that have been cooked until both the yolk and the white are solid are safe - you can eat them. It's best to avoid home-made sorbets, meringues, mousses, and mayonnaise, as raw eggs are sometimes used to make these foods. Supermarket mayonnaise in jars is made with pasteurised eggs, so it is safe to eat.'

'These guidelines will help you to cook eggs in ways that will reduce your risks:

Boil a medium-sized egg for at least seven minutes.

Fry eggs on both sides.

Poach eggs until the white is completely set and opaque and the yolk is firm: this will take about five minutes for a medium-sized egg.

If you want to make a recipe that includes raw eggs - such as royal icing, home-made mayonnaise, or meringue - only do so if you can use pasteurised egg products, which are available in larger supermarkets. Pasteurisation heats the eggs and kills the bacteria.

The outside of eggshells may also carry harmful bacteria, so store eggs where they cannot come in contact with other foods, and always wash your hands after handling them.'

It's especially important to cook your eggs thorougly now, there has been an outbreak of salmonella from infected chicken eggs around Brisbane at the moment - so make sure you cook 'em until they're dead!!

OMG! im a complete and utter moron. Ive had fried eggs probably only 4 or 5 times during this pregnancy but never fried on both sides. I just thought it meant the white...

I'm so sorry Junior.

Default Eggs

whoops! Ive been eating undercooked eggs then......

i love bacon and eggs. We used to have it every sunday morning. I refuse to eat pork while preg, and as for eggs - they are just not the same unless they are runny.
    I have vegemite on toast - DH has bacon and eggs. Hasnt bothered me yet, but, i wouldnt mind a feed of bacon and eggs.
    Oh well, only a 16 weeks to go! Provided that, between now and then, someone says you cant eat runny eggs while B/F. Then i will be mad

Quote Originally Posted by mum2bee View Post
    I refuse to eat pork while preg
    Why? I'm just curious!

I'm a huge poached egg fan...the runnier the better for me...

But...alas...being pregnant...have had to give them up!

I really struggle without having runny eggs...(can't stand them fully cooked) so I only do scrambled eggs at the moment!

Default Eggs

I love runny eggs too, sadly i have been eating them for most of my pregnancy.... i just hope that i haven't caused any trouble to my little one in the process... will be sure not to eat them anymore though. Scrambled eggs will have to do for now, i'm not much of a fan of fried....

Bess Guest

Giving up coffee, alcohol and everything else didn't bother me but giving up runny poached eggs is killing me! I have another 25 weeks to go before I am going to have a big plate of eggs benedict!